Navigating social media blocking can be tricky. You may impulsively block someone, only to later regret it. With over 1 billion monthly active users, blocking and unblocking is common on TikTok. This guide will walk you through how to easily unblock accounts using TikTok‘s mobile app.
Why Unblock TikTok Users?
There are a few reasons you may want to unblock someone on TikTok:
- You blocked them impulsively in the heat of the moment and now realize it was an overreaction.
- The content that originally led you to block them no longer bothers you.
- You want to give them a second chance and reconnect.
- Curiosity is getting the best of you.
- You accidentally blocked the wrong person.
Whatever the reason, TikTok‘s blocking settings give you full control to block and unblock users as needed.
Follow these tips when unblocking a TikTok user:
- It‘s reversible – Don‘t worry, you can always re-block them later if needed.
- They‘ll see your old posts – They can view even your posts from when they were blocked.
- Review your settings – Check your privacy settings after unblocking someone.
- Confirm it worked – Verify the user no longer appears in your blocked list.
Now let‘s look at how to unblock someone on TikTok step-by-step:
Step 1: Open Your Profile Page
Open the TikTok app and tap on the "Me" tab on the bottom right to access your profile page:
You can also get to your profile by tapping on your profile photo from the main feed.
Step 2: Tap the Settings Icon
At the top right corner of your profile page, tap on the icon that looks like 3 horizontal lines to open the menu:
This will open up the main menu. The settings icon may be in a slightly different location on some Android devices.
Step 3: Select "Settings and Privacy"
From the menu that appears at the bottom, tap on "Settings and Privacy" to continue:
This will bring you to the main settings page for your TikTok account.
Step 4: Choose "Privacy"
Next, select "Privacy" from the available options:
This is where you manage your blocking settings.
Step 5: Select "Blocked Accounts"
Scroll down until you see the "Blocked Accounts" option. Tap on it to view your block list:
You will see a list of all accounts you have blocked from your TikTok profile.
Step 6: Tap "Unblock"
Finally, tap on the "Unblock" button located to the right of the username for each account you want to unblock:
That‘s it! By tapping Unblock, you reverse the blocking and enable that user to see and engage with your profile again.
Confirm the User is Unblocked
To verify that you successfully unblocked someone on TikTok, check your blocked accounts list again. Their username should no longer appear if the unblock worked.
You can also test it out by searching for their profile or posts to confirm you can view them normally.
When Someone Sees Your Profile After Unblocking
Once unblocked, the user will again be able to:
- View your profile information
- See all of your posted videos
- Like and comment on your videos
- Send you direct messages
Unblocking also lets them tag you and use your content to make reaction videos via duets or stitches.
Note: They will be able to view even your past content from when they were blocked.
TikTok Blocking Alternatives to Consider
Rather than fully blocking someone, you may want to try these alternatives on TikTok:
Make your videos visible only to yourself or friends. This lets you control who sees your content on a video-by-video basis.
Pros: Allows for precision blocking of specific people.
Cons: Time consuming to set video-by-video.
Filter words or enable Restricted Mode to limit the content visible to you from certain accounts without outright blocking them.
Pros: Good middle ground if you find just some content problematic.
Cons: Doesn‘t filter all unwanted content.
Limit who can comment on your videos or filter keywords. This prevents unwanted engagements.
Pros: Easy way to block interactions.
Cons: Also blocks well-meaning commenters.
Other Privacy Options
Restrict options like duets, mentions, and downloads to control how others interact with your content.
Pros: Very customizable based on your comfort level.
Cons: Time intensive to tweak all settings.
Simply Mute Them
You can also mute an account from your main feed temporarily rather than blocking.
Tips for Managing TikTok Blocks
- Check your blocked list periodically to clean up old blocks you may want to reverse.
- Unblock with caution – some users you blocked for good reason.
- Utilize privacy settings to limit unwanted interactions.
- Don‘t panic if you need to re-block someone – it only takes a tap.
With this guide, you should now understand how to unblock accounts on TikTok. Just open your profile, go to privacy settings, select blocked accounts, and tap unblock.
What has your experience been with unblocking on TikTok? Let us know in the comments!