Jacksonville, Florida is emerging as a hub for technology and innovation. With major companies like FIS, BlackKnight Inc., and CSX Transportation headquartered in the city, there is a growing need for tech talent.
The University of North Florida and local organizations like the Jacksonville Tech Council are also helping to build a strong tech community. As a result, there are many high-paying jobs available for skilled technology professionals.
In this article, we will look at 7 of the top-paying tech jobs in Jacksonville and what skills and qualifications you need to attain them. Whether you‘re just starting your tech career or looking to level up, understanding these roles can help you find the right job and salary in Jacksonville‘s thriving tech industry.
Cloud Architect – $123,167
A Cloud Architect designs and maintains cloud computing systems for organizations. With an average salary of $123,167 in Jacksonville, it is one of the highest paying tech roles.
As a Cloud Architect, your main responsibilities include:
- Developing strategies for migrating systems and data to the cloud
- Designing new cloud systems and architecture
- Integrating cloud services with a company‘s existing IT infrastructure
- Optimizing cloud-based systems for maximum efficiency and cost-savings
- Ensuring stability, security, and compliance of cloud platforms
To become a Cloud Architect, you‘ll need a bachelor‘s degree in computer science or information technology along with 3-5 years experience. Understanding operating systems, networking, programming, and security protocols is crucial.
Certifications like AWS Solutions Architect, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect, and Google Cloud Architect can demonstrate your cloud expertise. With the right mix of technical and strategic skills, Cloud Architects can command high salaries in Jacksonville.
Data Scientist – $108,831
Data Scientists analyze large datasets to uncover insights and patterns that can drive business decisions. With an average salary of $108,831, Data Scientists are highly valued in Jacksonville‘s data-driven companies.
As a Data Scientist, your daily work may include:
- Identifying valuable data sources and designing methods for data collection
- Using programming languages like Python and R to clean and consolidate raw data
- Applying statistical modeling, machine learning, and data mining techniques to derive insights
- Interpreting and visualizing findings to convey meaning to stakeholders
- Developing data products and algorithms to optimize business processes
To become a Data Scientist, you‘ll need a master‘s degree or Ph.D. in data science, statistics, computer science or a related quantitative field. Strong statistical, analytics, and coding skills are essential. Certifications from vendors like Cloudera can also highlight your big data expertise.
Overall, Data Scientists who can translate complex data findings into strategic recommendations command top salaries in Jacksonville.
Cybersecurity Analyst – $101,502
Cybersecurity Analysts help protect company systems and networks from digital threats. With cyberattacks on the rise, qualified security analysts can earn $101,502 on average in Jacksonville.
Daily responsibilities of a Cybersecurity Analyst include:
- Monitoring networks, endpoints, servers and cloud platforms for anomalies
- Investigating attempted infiltrations and other cybersecurity events
- Performing vulnerability assessments and risk analyses on IT systems
- Developing and implementing security policies, controls, and procedures
- Educating employees on security best practices and prevention
- Collecting data and reporting metrics to key stakeholders
To become a Cybersecurity Analyst, you‘ll need a bachelor‘s degree in information security, computer science or a related field, along with 1-3 years of experience. Understanding operating systems, network protocols, and security tools like SIEM is essential.
Industry certifications like Security+, CEH, and CISSP will make you more competitive for cybersecurity roles. With cyber threats on the rise, qualified analysts continue to be in high demand in Jacksonville.
Network Engineer – $94,452
Network Engineers design, build, and maintain the computer networks that transmit data across organizations. In Jacksonville, Network Engineers earn an average of $94,452 per year.
Daily tasks for a Network Engineer include:
- Designing and deploying LANs, WANs, VPNs, and other networks
- Installing and configuring switches, routers, firewalls, and other hardware
- Monitoring networks to ensure optimal uptime and performance
- Troubleshooting outages and connection problems
- Upgrading infrastructure to provide additional speed and capacity
- Securing networks through access controls, encryption, and other measures
To become a Network Engineer, you‘ll need a bachelor‘s degree in computer science or information technology, along with 1-3 years of network administration experience. Understanding TCP/IP, wireless protocols, LAN/WAN systems, and network hardware is essential.
Vendor-specific certifications like CCNA and JNCIA demonstrate networking proficiency. Overall, Network Engineers with strong technical abilities and troubleshooting skills can advance their careers in Jacksonville.
Software Engineer – $93,263
Software Engineers design, develop, and maintain software applications and systems. With an average salary of $93,263, Software Engineers are compensated well in Jacksonville.
Daily responsibilities of a Software Engineer include:
- Analyzing software requirements and designs
- Testing software to identify bugs and issues
- Deploying functional software across devices and operating systems
- Collaborating with designers, product managers, and end users
- Improving software performance, security, and usability
Pursuing certifications like AWS Developer Associate and Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate can help you stand out. Overall, Software Engineers who can write clean, functional code are valued in Jacksonville.
IT Manager – $92,458
An IT Manager oversees technology strategy and operations for an entire organization. In Jacksonville, IT Managers earn an average salary of $92,458 per year.
Common responsibilities for an IT Manager include:
- Developing and implementing IT policies, procedures, and best practices
- Managing daily operations of IT staff and systems infrastructure
- Monitoring IT budgets and purchasing technology resources
- Ensuring systems meet business requirements and run efficiently
- Leading special IT projects and initiatives
- Providing guidance and support for IT and end users
To become an IT Manager, you‘ll need a bachelor‘s degree in information technology or computer science along with 5-10 years of IT work experience. Excellent leadership, project management, and communication skills are essential.
Pursuing management-focused certifications like PMP or CISM helps demonstrate your expertise. Overall, seasoned IT professionals who can strategically run IT departments are well-compensated as managers in Jacksonville.
System Administrator – $79,845
A System Administrator installs, configures, and maintains server infrastructure and systems. With an average salary of $79,845, it is one of the more accessible higher-paying tech roles.
Daily tasks for a System Administrator include:
- Installing and upgrading server hardware and software
- Managing permissions, accounts, and access controls
- Monitoring system health and performance
- Troubleshooting issues across servers and workstations
- Automating administrative tasks through scripting
- Collaborating with network administrators and other IT staff
- Documenting processes and procedures
To become a System Administrator, you‘ll need a bachelor‘s degree along with 1-3 years of experience. Knowledge of operating systems like Windows Server and Linux, networking fundamentals, and scripting languages is key.
Pursuing certifications like Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) and Linux Professional Institute Certification (LPIC) can boost your credentials. With solid technical expertise and problem-solving skills, System Administrators can advance their careers in Jacksonville.
Jacksonville‘s growing technology landscape provides many high-paying careers for qualified tech professionals. Cloud Architects, Data Scientists, Cybersecurity Analysts, Network Engineers, Software Engineers, IT Managers, and System Administrators are all in demand across the city‘s top employers.
When exploring these roles, be sure to understand the key responsibilities, education and skills needed, and potential certifications to highlight your abilities. Finding the right technology job match where you can utilize your strengths and earn a high salary requires research and self-reflection.
But for those willing to develop their tech skills and experience, Jacksonville offers outstanding career potential. The city‘s investments in technology and innovation will likely continue driving quality job growth into the future.