Hey there! Got a Samsung TV and want access to all the great shows, movies, and originals that Apple TV offers? Well, you‘ve come to the right place.
Adding Apple TV to your Samsung TV is a total game-changer. You can stream hit series like Ted Lasso, watch new releases like Causeway, or even subscribe to premium channels – all from the comfort of your living room.
But how exactly do you get Apple TV working on a Samsung TV? Don‘t worry, I‘ll walk you through the entire process step-by-step. We‘ll cover:
- Apple TV and Samsung TV background
- Pre-setup and compatibility
- Downloading the Apple TV app
- Signing into your Apple account
- Tips for streaming and customizing
By the end of this guide, you‘ll have Apple TV ready to start streaming on your Samsung TV. Let‘s dive in!
A Little Background First
Before we get into the setup details, let‘s quickly go over what exactly Apple TV and Samsung TVs are.
What is Apple TV?
Apple TV is Apple‘s streaming service that gives you access to original shows, movies, sports, and news. It combines content from Apple TV+ (like Ted Lasso), iTunes purchases and rentals, Apple TV channels (HBO, Showtime), and streaming apps like Amazon Prime and Disney+.
Over the past 3 years, Apple TV has grown rapidly:
- Apple TV+ launched in November 2019 and now has over 40 million subscribers globally.
- There are now over 100 Apple original TV shows and movies like The Morning Show, Severance, and CODA.
- Apple TV is available in over 100 countries.
- The Apple TV app can be accessed on smart TVs, streaming devices, game consoles, and Apple devices.
What are Samsung TVs?
Samsung is the #1 global TV manufacturer – in 2021 they controlled 31% of the worldwide TV market share.
Samsung‘s smart TV operating system is called Tizen OS. It powers their entire lineup of LED/QLED 4K and 8K TVs.
Key features of Samsung TVs include:
- Excellent picture quality with QLED and mini-LED displays
- Smart Hub for apps like Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video and more
- Sleek, ultra-thin designs from 32 to 85 inches
- Innovative extras like Bixby voice assistant
Now that you know a bit about Apple TV and Samsung TVs, let‘s cover what models are compatible.
Apple TV and Samsung TV Compatibility
Unfortunately Apple TV isn‘t supported on every Samsung TV model. But the good news is – most newer Samsung TVs can download and install the Apple TV app with just a few steps.
Apple TV Supported Samsung Models:
- 2017 Models: MU6290 and higher
- 2018 Models: NU7100 and higher
- 2019 Models: RU7100 and higher
- 2020 Models: TU7000 and higher
- 2021 Models: AU7000 and higher
- 2022 Models: BU8000 and higher
So if you have a Samsung TV from 2017 onward, chances are pretty high it will work with Apple TV.
But for 2016 and older Samsung TVs, the Apple TV app is not available. The good news is you can always stream Apple TV through another device like Roku, Fire TV, or Apple TV box.
I recommend checking the model number on the back of your Samsung TV before getting started. Or you can try searching for your model number + "Apple TV" online to confirm compatibility.
Okay, now that you know which Samsung TVs work with Apple TV, let‘s move on to downloading the app…
Downloading Apple TV App on Samsung
Alright, time for the fun part. Downloading Apple TV onto your compatible Samsung TV takes just a few minutes. Here are the steps:
1. Turn On Your Samsung TV
Grab your Samsung remote and use it to turn on your TV. You‘ll see the main menu screen appear.
You can also use the power button on the TV itself if you misplaced that pesky remote somewhere in the couch cushions.
Once your TV is on, we can start downloading Apple TV.
2. Open Apps Menu
From the main Samsung menu, navigate to the apps icon. It‘s usually located along the bottom row of the menu.
Select the apps icon to bring up the Smart Hub app menu. This is where you‘ll find and download new apps for your TV.
With the apps menu open, we can now search for Apple TV.
3. Search for Apple TV
In the top right of the apps menu is a magnifying glass icon for searching. Select this to open up a search bar.
Use the on-screen Samsung keyboard to type in "Apple TV". Then choose it from the list of results.
Tip: If you have the Samsung remote app on your phone, it‘s way easier to type in the search terms using your phone‘s keyboard!
4. Select Download
After selecting Apple TV from the search results, you‘ll see the app page with details, screenshots, and the option to download.
Go ahead and select Download to start getting Apple TV onto your Samsung TV.
Almost there! Now it just needs a few minutes to work its magic.
5. Wait for Download & Install
Be patient for the Apple TV app to complete the download and installation process. This usually takes 2-4 minutes.
Once installed, you‘ll get a notification pop-up that Apple TV is ready to use. Then you‘ll find it on your Samsung TV‘s app menu.
Okay, take a deep breath – you did it! Apple TV has successfully been downloaded onto your Samsung TV.
Now we just need to sign into your Apple account…
Signing Into Your Apple Account
After getting the Apple TV app installed, next you‘ll want to sign in with your Apple ID.
Your Apple ID unlocks all of your personal content and subscriptions for a customized viewing experience.
Here are the steps to sign in:
1. Launch the Apple TV App
From your Samsung TV‘s app menu, select the Apple TV icon.
This will open the app for the first time.
2. Choose "Sign In"
The first screen you see will prompt you to sign into your Apple account. Select the blue "Sign In" button.
This launches the sign in process.
3. Enter Apple ID Credentials
Next, enter your Apple ID email address and password on the sign-in page.
If you have Touch ID enabled on your iPhone, just hold it next to the Samsung remote to instantly sign in. Pretty cool!
4. Allow Access
Carefully review the Apple TV terms and conditions, then select "Allow" to provide access to your Apple account details and content libraries.
Once you sign in, Apple TV will sync your info and you‘ll be ready to start streaming!
Things to Know Before You Start
We‘ve covered the key steps to getting Apple TV on your Samsung TV. But here are a few other useful tips I‘ve learned over the years:
- Optimize streaming quality: Use the fastest internet connection possible – Apple TV streams in 4K HDR so you need decent speeds. Turn off any other devices using your home network to prioritize bandwidth for your TV. Consider upgrading your router if you notice buffering issues.
- Configure audio: To get the best sound quality, in the Apple TV settings change audio output to "Dolby Digital 5.1" if your TV setup supports surround sound.
- Hide shows from kids: Set up parental controls and age restrictions for profiles to prevent kids from accessing mature content.
- Re-install if issues: If Apple TV is glitchy or won‘t load content, uninstall the app from your Samsung TV then reinstall it from the app menu. This often fixes bugs.
Okay, with those tips in mind, now you‘re truly ready to start streaming Apple TV!
Recommended Shows and Movies to Watch
Once signed into Apple TV, where should you start streaming? Here are some of my top picks for shows, movies and channels:
- Ted Lasso – Hilarious fish-out-of-water comedy
- For All Mankind – Space exploration drama with top visuals
- Severance – Mind-bending sci-fi thriller that will blow you away
- The Morning Show – Binge-worthy drama with an amazing cast
- Causeway – New Apple Original drama starring Jennifer Lawrence
- Selena Gomez: My Mind and Me – Revealing documentary about the pop singer
- Good Luck To You, Leo Grande – Smart, funny indie film with Emma Thompson
- HBO Max – From Game of Thrones to House of the Dragon
- Showtime – New shows like Yellowjackets plus classics like Dexter
- Paramount+ – Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and live sports
- Sago Mini Friends – Cute playful series for preschoolers
- Doug Unplugs – Charming animated show with robot friend
- Puppy Place – Fun puppy adventures based on the book series
With so many great options, you‘ll never run out of things to watch. Enjoy exploring all Apple TV has to offer!
Closing Thoughts on Apple TV & Samsung TV
Well there you have it – everything you need to start streaming Apple TV on your Samsung TV today!
Now you can unwind after work by catching up on Ted Lasso. Have an amazing movie night with friends and family watching the latest Apple film. Or keep the kids entertained for hours with excellent children‘s programming.
The Apple TV app opens up a whole world of stellar content and entertainment. And it integrates seamlessly into your Samsung TV‘s menus and controls.
Here‘s a quick recap of what we covered:
- Background on Apple TV and Samsung TVs
- Checking model compatibility
- Downloading Apple TV app
- Signing into your Apple account
- Streaming tips and suggested shows
Thanks for following along on getting Apple TV set up on your Samsung TV. Now grab the remote and start watching all your favorite shows! Have fun streaming!