|Full Name||Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán|
|Birthday||July 18, 1990|
|Net Worth||$140 Million|
Canelo Álvarez is a Mexican professional boxer who competes in the super middleweight division. He is a multi-division world champion and one of the most popular active fighters in the sport today. With his high-action style, devastating punching power, and big fight resume, Canelo has become a boxing superstar and national hero in Mexico.
Early Life and Amateur Career
Canelo was born on July 18, 1990 in Guadalajara, Mexico. He grew up on his family‘s farm in Juanacatlán with seven brothers and sisters. As a child, Canelo was bullied for his red hair and freckles, which led to his nickname "Canelo" meaning cinnamon in Spanish.
At 13, Canelo took up boxing to lose weight and get in shape. His older brother Rigoberto Álvarez, also a pro boxer, introduced him to the sport and helped teach him the basics. Canelo developed a love for boxing quickly and compiled an amateur record of 44-2 fighting in local competitions.
Pro Boxing Career
Álvarez turned pro at just 15 years old in 2005 without any amateur titles or Olympic experience. He blew through his first 19 opponents, showcasing devastating punching power that earned him knockouts in 16 of those fights.
In 2011, Canelo defeated Matthew Hatton for the vacant WBC light middleweight title, becoming world champion at age 20. This marked the beginning of his emergence as one of boxing‘s rising stars.
Over the next few years, Canelo added more titles and established himself as the man to beat at light middleweight. His 2013 decision win over Austin Trout earned him the WBA & Ring Magazine titles, unifying the division.
Canelo has consistently taken on the toughest challenges, fighting the best competition between 154 to 175 lbs:
- Miguel Cotto (W, 2015) – Won the lineal middleweight title by KO
- Gennadiy Golovkin (D, 2017; W, 2018) – Epic 2-fight series finally settled by majority decision
- Sergey Kovalev (W, 2019) – Jumped up 2 divisions to KO the feared light heavyweight champ
- Callum Smith (W, 2020) – Outboxed and broke down the previously unbeaten 168 lb titleholder
- Billy Joe Saunders (W, 2021) – Unified the super middleweight belts with an 8th round TKO
- Gennadiy Golovkin III (W, 2022) – Completed their historic trilogy, cementing 2-1 edge
What makes Canelo Álvarez special is that he has accomplished so much at a relatively young age:
- 4-division world champion (light middle, middle, super middle, light heavy)
- Became the undisputed super middleweight champion
- One of only 8 undisputed champs in the 4-belt era
- At age 23, was the youngest light middleweight champ ever
- Has held world titles every year since 2011
- Record of 42 KOs showcasing real punching power
- Currently ranked #1 Pound-for-Pound boxer by The Ring
With his combination of skills, achievements, and popularity, Canelo has already cemented his legacy as an all-time great Mexican fighter.
Style and Substance
In the ring, Canelo is an offensive powerhouse. He stands at 5‘8" with a compact, muscular frame and devastating punching power in both hands. His style features:
- Aggressive pressure fighting, coming forward with combinations
- Accurate and heavy-handed – puts together potent multi-punch barrages
- Brilliant head movement and upper body feints to slip shots
- Vicious and debilitating body attack, hooking to the ribs
- Excellent counter punching ability and timing
- Intelligent reader of opponents‘ patterns and tendencies
- Durable chin and immense mental toughness
Canelo also displays underrated defensive skills and footwork, maneuvering opponents into traps. His sound fundamentals, technical skills, and ring IQ perfectly complement his offensive arsenal.
As Canelo‘s success and fame has grown, he has become a major celebrity and influencer. With his matinee idol looks and charismatic personality, he is a sponsor‘s dream and has massive endorsement deals.
In 2018, Canelo signed an exclusive 5-year, 11-fight contract with DAZN worth $365 million – the richest deal in sports history at the time. He partnered with Hennessy cognac in a record-breaking spirit endorsement deal and has agreements with Tecate, Under Armour, Everlast, and more.
Canelo has over 10 million followers across social media and is boxing‘s biggest PPV draw after Floyd Mayweather‘s retirement. His devoted Mexican fans flock to his fights singing, chanting, and creating an electric atmosphere.
Despite his global stardom, Canelo remains loyal to his Mexican roots. He resides in Guadalajara with his wife Fernanda Gomez and their three children.
Leaving a Legacy
At 33 years old, Canelo is still in his athletic prime with many more history-making achievements ahead of him. His combination of entertainment value, courage in taking big challenges, and complete skillset make him a boxing superstar.
For any up-and-coming fighter, Canelo Álvarez represents the pinnacle of the sport. He embodies the warrior spirit of Mexican boxing – the technical brilliance, immense pride, and tireless work ethic to become one of the all-time greats.
Win or lose, you know Canelo will give his all in the ring and fight with skill, heart, and unwavering Mexican grit until the final bell. That is why he has endeared himself to fans worldwide and become a boxing icon.
As his epic career continues to unfold, Canelo Álvarez is cementing his legacy as a transformational, once-in-a-generation prizefighter who has taken the sweet science to new heights.