Christopher Benoit was a Canadian pro wrestler for 22 years, notably WWF/WWE.
|Full Name||Age||Birthday||Death Date||Birth Sign||Born||Relationship||Height||Net Worth|
|Christopher Benoit||40||May 21, 1967||June 24, 2007||Gemini||Canada||Married to Nancy Benoit||5′ 11′′||$500K|
Known for his technical prowess and intense wrestling style, Benoit was considered one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time. Let‘s take a closer look at his story.
Early Life and Career Beginnings
Christopher Michael Benoit was born on May 21, 1967 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. From an early age, Benoit aspired to become a professional wrestler. He grew up idolizing dynamic technical wrestlers like the Dynamite Kid.
In his youth, Benoit trained at the Hart Brothers School of Wrestling operated by the legendary Hart wrestling family. There he honed his technical skills and adopted an aggressive, physical wrestling style.
Benoit began his professional wrestling career at the age of 18 in 1985 in Stu Hart‘s Stampede Wrestling promotion based in Calgary. He started out performing under a mask as "The Pegasus Kid". Over the next few years, Benoit gained experience and made a name for himself in Stampede Wrestling and in tours of Japan.
Chris Benoit Timeline
- 1967 – Chris Benoit is Born in Montreal, Canada
- 1984 – Begins training under Stu Hart and debuts in Stampede Wrestling
- 1992 – Signs with World Championship Wrestling (WCW)
- 1994 – Has stint in Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)
- 2000 – Joins World Wrestling Federation (WWF/WWE) and wins Tag Team Championship with Kurt Angle
- 2004 – Wins the Royal Rumble match and World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XX
- 2007 – Commits suicide after murdering wife and son
Success in WCW and ECW
In 1992, Chris Benoit signed with World Championship Wrestling (WCW). He went on to win the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship and WCW World Television Championship multiple times between 1992 to 1999. Benoit engaged in memorable feuds with Booker T, Raven, and Perry Saturn during this period.
Some key moments from Benoit‘s WCW run:
- Defeated Brian Pillman in January 1993 to win his first WCW United States Heavyweight Championship
- Had legendary matches against Kevin Sullivan in 1995 and 1997
- Formed famous stable The Four Horsemen with Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, and Steve McMichael in 1995
- Won Best of Seven series against Booker T in 1998
Benoit also spent some time in Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) in 1994-95 where he had vicious encounters with Sabu and The Tazmaniac. His performances in WCW and ECW earned him the nickname "The Crippler".
WWE Career Highlights
In 2000, Chris Benoit signed with the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), which later became WWE. He became one of the most popular superstars in the company during the subsequent years.
Some major highlights of Benoit‘s WWE career:
- Won the WWE Tag Team Championship with Kurt Angle in 2000. Their team was called Team Angle.
- Won his first world title, the WCW Championship, in 2001 after WWF acquired WCW.
- Won the 2004 Royal Rumble match by last eliminating Big Show, earning a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XX.
- Defeated Triple H and Shawn Michaels in a triple threat match at WrestleMania XX to win the World Heavyweight Championship, his first WWE world title.
- Won the United States Championship from Orlando Jordan at SummerSlam 2005 in 25 seconds, one of the fastest title wins.
- Became WWE Tag Team Champion with Rey Mysterio as well as WWE Champion by defeating John Cena in 2006.
Throughout his WWE career, Benoit had intense feuds and matches against the likes of Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, and Eddie Guerrero. His technical wrestling skills, physical style, and intensity made him a highly popular figure among wrestling fans.
Why We Love Chris Benoit
- He was a Great Wrestler – Chris Benoit was an incredible professional wrestler, who was known for his strength and agility in the ring. He was also known for being able to perform dangerous maneuvers with ease and grace.
- He had a Passionate Work Ethic – Chris Benoit had a passion for wrestling that was unmatched. He worked hard each and every day to perfect his craft, and it showed in his in-ring performance. He was also willing to put himself in difficult positions to entertain the fans.
- He was a Great Role Model – Chris Benoit was a great role model for young wrestlers. He always took time to give back to the community, help out those in need and set a good example. He was also kind and generous to everyone he met, which is something that everyone should aspire to emulate.
5 Interesting Facts about Chris Benoit
- Trained by the Legendary Stu Hart – Chris Benoit was trained by the legendary Stu Hart in his infamous "Hart Dungeon" in Calgary, Alberta.
- Won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship – Chris Benoit won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship on three separate occasions.
- Member of Four Elite Wrestling Clubs – Chris Benoit was a member of four elite wrestling clubs, including The Four Horsemen, Evolution, Team Angle and The Radicalz.
- Won the WWE Royal Rumble in 2004 – Chris Benoit became the first wrestler in history to win both the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and the WWE Royal Rumble match in the same year when he won the 2004 Royal Rumble.
- Murdered His Family in 2007 – In 2007, Chris Benoit murdered his wife, son and himself in a murder-suicide that shocked the professional wrestling world.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is Chris Benoit birthday?
Chris Benoit was born on May 21, 1967. He would have turned 50 years old in 2017.
What is the Net Worth of Chris Benoit?
Chris Benoit has an estimated net worth of $500K. He earned the majority of his wealth through his wrestling career with promotions like WCW, ECW, and WWE.