|Full Name||Venkatesh Prabhu Kasthuri Raja|
|Birthday||July 28, 1983 (age 40 years)|
|Birthplace||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Spouse||Aishwarya Rajinikanth (m. 2004)|
|Children||2 sons – Yatra and Linga|
|Occupation||Actor, singer, producer, lyricist, director|
|Net Worth||Estimated ₹130 crores (USD 16 million)|
|Social Media||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
As a long-time ardent fan of Dhanush, I‘ve eagerly followed his journey from a newcomer to one of Tamil cinema‘s most versatile stars. Here‘s a detailed look at his fascinating story.
Early Life and Background
Dhanush was born on July 28, 1983 to Tamil director and producer Kasthuri Raja in Chennai. Even as a child, he displayed a creative bent of mind – writing poetry, drawing, and participating in school plays. Coming from a film family, he decided to pursue acting after school. His brother Selvaraghavan also chose a career in cinema as a director.
Film Career Beginnings
Dhanush made his acting debut in 2002 with Thulluvadho Ilamai, directed by his father Kasthuri Raja. Though he earned praise for his performance, his next few films failed to create an impact.
His career‘s biggest breakthrough came in 2004, when brother Selvaraghavan cast him as the mentally unstable lead in Kaadhal Kondein. His raw and intense performance received widespread critical acclaim and turned Dhanush into an overnight sensation!
Despite proving his mettle early on, commercial success eluded Dhanush until the 2009 comedy Padikathavan. Post this, there was no looking back.
Rise to Stardom
Dhanush‘s rapid ascent to stardom can be traced to four key films:
- Polladhavan (2007) – His performance as a rogue youth won acclaim. The film became a huge commercial hit.
- Aadukalam (2011) – His portrayal of a cocky rooster fight jockey earned him his first National Award for Best Actor.
- 3 (2012) – As the carefree youngster leading a bohemian life, Dhanush shone in this coming-of-age tale. The song "Why This Kolaveri Di" became a historic chartbuster.
- Raanjhanaa (2013) – Dhanush‘s role as the obsessive one-sided lover Kundan marked his successful Bollywood debut.
Since then, he has delivered countless stellar performances, with his recent Asuran (2019) winning him his second National Award.
The Musical Side
Dhanush first tried his hand at singing with Pudhupettai in 2006. But it was 3‘s "Why This Kolaveri Di" that catapulted him to fame as a singer. With its quirky lyrics and crooned melody, this viral track became India‘s most streamed song.
Dhanush has rendered numbers for several of his films since, revealing his mellifluous singing style. As a lyricist too, he has penned evocative songs for films like Maryan and Anegan.
Donning the Producer‘s Hat
Dhanush turned producer in 2011 by launching Wunderbar Films. Some of its notable productions include:
- Aadukalam (2011) – His first production, directed by Vetrimaaran
- Vada Chennai (2018) – This gangster flick marked Vetrimaaran‘s third collaboration with Dhanush
- Asuran (2019) – His National Award winning film, also directed by Vetrimaaran
- Pariyerum Perumal (2018) – A hard-hitting caste discrimination drama
Under Dhanush‘s visionary leadership, Wunderbar Films has backed societally relevant stories that have won critical acclaim.
The Director‘s Chair
Dhanush branched out into direction with the 2017 comedy drama Pa Paandi. Starring Rajinikanth alongside Dhanush, the film sensitively explores the issue of old age. His debut directorial outing earned praise all around for its treatment and narrative style.
The Man Beyond Films
Despite his stratospheric success, Dhanush has remained astonishingly humble and down-to-earth. He prefers leading a simple life, away from the trappings of stardom.
Staunchly private, he balances his work commitments with quality family time. Dhanush frequently collaborates on charitable causes to help the underprivileged.
Why Fans Love Him
- His raw, intensely passionate acting across a diverse array of roles
- Smooth transitioning between commercial and art house cinema
- Supporting fresh directorial talent via his production house
- Matchless singing voice combined with evocative lyrics
- Relatable off-screen persona and generosity towards social causes
As an ardent fan, I feel awed by Dhanush‘s phenomenal body of work over the past two decades. With his penchant for pushing boundaries, I eagerly await seeing him continue to enthrall for years to come!