|Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok is a professional League of Legends player who is renowned internationally for his astonishing skills and achievements. Considered by many to be the greatest player of all time, Faker has won 3 World Championship titles with his team SK Telecom T1 and holds numerous records. His elite mechanical abilities, champion mastery, and relentless work ethic have earned him celebrity status in South Korea and abroad.|
|Full Name:||Lee Sang-hyeok|
|Birthday:||May 7, 1996|
|Hometown:||Seoul, South Korea|
|Net Worth:||Estimated $4 million|
|Social Media:||Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Twitch, YouTube|
Early Life and Career Beginnings
Faker was born Lee Sang-hyeok on May 7, 1996 in Seoul, South Korea. From a young age, he displayed excellent reflexes and strategic thinking skills. Faker first started playing League of Legends in 2011, quickly advancing up the ranked ladder with his skills.
By age 17, Faker‘s talents were undeniable. He was signed by the prestigious Korean esports organization SK Telecom T1 in 2013 as their starting mid laner. This made him the youngest pro gamer signed to a team at the time.
Faker made his professional debut at the League of Legends Champions Spring tournament in 2013. Despite his young age and inexperience, he immediately stood out from the rest, showcasing his superb mechanics and ability to outplay opponents. It was just the start of an illustrious career.
Career Highlights: World Titles, MVPs, and Records
- 3 World Championship Titles (2013, 2015, 2016) – Faker has won 3 Worlds titles during his career, a feat no other player has accomplished.
- 7 Worlds Finals Appearances – He has reached the Worlds finals an incredible 7 times, including 4 consecutive appearances from 2013-2016.
- Over 20 Major Titles – His trophy case includes over 20 major tournament wins, including Worlds, Mid-Season Invitational, and domestic titles.
- Numerous MVP Awards – Faker has been named MVP of major tournaments like Worlds, MSI, Asian Games, and All-Star events.
- Ranked #1 Player – He held the #1 spot on the Korean Challenger ladder for a record 724 total days.
- Longest Tenure – Faker holds the record for the longest tenure with a single organization at over 9 years with SKT T1.
- Most Unique Champions – With over 80 unique champions played, Faker has the largest competitive champion pool in League history.
- Highest Career Earnings – As of 2022, Faker‘s career earnings exceed $1.2 million total from tournaments.
Godlike Playstyle and Skills
Precise Mechanics – Faker‘s mechanics are considered the best in League. He can precisely control his champion and execute combos with perfect accuracy.
Enormous Champion Pool – He can play virtually any champion at the highest level by fully understanding their skills and limits.
Lightning Fast Reactions – Faker is renowned for his incredibly fast reaction time, allowing him to dodge, outplay, and counter enemies.
Deep Game Knowledge – His vast understanding of League on both a micro and macro level enables optimal decision making.
Clutch Factor – Throughout his career, Faker has made huge plays in high pressure situations to carry his team.
Lane Dominance – His oppressive laning phase consistently generates advantages and draws jungle pressure.
Creativity and Adaptability – Faker is flexible in his style, builds, and champions, adjusting his play based on the game state.
Leadership – As a veteran player, he provides leadership and shotcalling to guide his team to victory.
Reasons for Broad Popularity
There are many factors that contribute to Faker‘s widespread fame and adoration globally:
- Next-level gameplay that amazes fans
- Humble personality despite his fame and success
- Dedication to practicing 12+ hours daily to hone his skills
- Consistent world-class performance since his debut season
- Iconic highlights like his legendary 1v1 Zed outplay
- Clutch moments at the highest pressure situations
- Longstanding excellence over a 9 year career
- Streams that give an inside look into his focused practice routines
- Courage to be creative and make bold moves in-game
- Charismatic presence in interviews and public appearances
- Passion for the game that resonates with fans
- Representative of the growth of esports
5 Fascinating Facts About the Unkillable Demon King
- Sold Out Arena in Minutes – When Faker played live in Beijing Stadium in 2017, over 50,000 Chinese fans bought out tickets in minutes to see him.
- Named a Signature Move – His incredible 1v1 outplay against Ryu became known as "Faker‘s What Was That?!" and is one of the most famous moments in League history.
- Higher Salary Than Top Athletes – As one of the elite players, Faker‘s annual salary is estimated to exceed $2.5 million, on par with top traditional sport athletes.
- Banned Over 100 Champions – Opponents have banned over 100 unique champions just to target Faker‘s deep champion pool.
- Appeared in Nike Commercials – As a celebrity in Korea, Faker has been sponsored by brands like Nike and appeared in commercials.
The Future of the Unkillable Demon King
Now 27 years old and a veteran in esports, Faker remains motivated to compete at the top level. With his unparalleled skills and drive to continuously improve, he continues to perform as one of the best mid laners in the world.
While retirement may still be some years away, Faker has expressed interest in streaming more regularly after he does retire from professional play. With his achievements cementing his legacy as the greatest of all time, fans eagerly await the remainder of his illustrious career.