Kehlani has been my favorite new artist since I first heard her angelic voice in 2014. Her music has gotten me through so much, which is why I‘m thrilled to see her success skyrocketing! Here‘s everything you need to know about the incredibly talented Kehlani:
|Full Name||Kehlani Ashley Parrish|
|Birthday||April 24, 1995|
|Net Worth||$3 million|
|Social Media||Instagram, Twitter, Facebook|
Kehlani first entered the scene as a 15-year-old in the teen pop group Poplyfe. After their stint on America‘s Got Talent ended, a homesick Kehlani turned to songwriting for solace. She released her first mixtape Cloud 19 on SoundCloud in 2014 under the radar. I was immediately drawn to her raw emotions and heavenly falsettos.
The mixtape showcased her talent for crafting infectious R&B melodies and vulnerable lyrics beyond her years. When "The Way" featuring Chance the Rapper spread like wildfire online, she scored a deal with Atlantic Records.
Rising Success and Mainstream Breakthrough
Kehlani‘s 2015 mixtape You Should Be Here propelled her to stardom. She landed on Billboard‘s "Top R&B Artists to Watch" list and set out on her first sold-out North American tour.
I‘ll never forget seeing her perform up close on that tour. The energy was electric! She danced her heart out on stage while belting out hits like "Down For You" flawlessly.
Her debut album SweetSexySavage marked her breakthrough into the mainstream in 2017. She earned a Grammy nom for Best Urban Contemporary Album and went on her biggest tour yet across the U.S. and Europe.
“I’m at the point where I don’t have to sing another note, and I’ll still touch people.” – Kehlani
And touch people she did! Her inspiring messages of self-love and overcoming hardship resonated deeply. She won Best New Artist at the iHeartRadio Awards thanks to young fans who felt represented by her music.
Evolution as an Artist
While staying true to her R&B roots, each project shows Kehlani‘s artistic growth:
- Cloud 19 introduced her angelic voice and songwriting chops
- You Should Be Here expanded into poppier, more danceable territory
- SweetSexySavage blended R&B and pop flawlessly
- It Was Good Until It Wasn‘t showcased her at her most experimental and versatile
Her latest singles like "Up All Night" and "Altar" prove she can master any sound. I love the versatility! Her evolution as an artist solidifies her status as a dynamic, genre-fluid force in music.
Awards and Achievements
Even with only three studio albums out, her list of accomplishments is unreal:
- Two Grammy nominations (Best Urban Contemporary Album, Best R&B Song)
- BET Award for Best New Artist
- Billboard 200 top 10 albums
- RIAA Platinum and Gold certifications
- Over 5 billion streams worldwide
- Tours across 5 continents
She‘s also expanded into acting, appearing in Wu-Tang: An American Saga in 2021. It‘s been so fun watching her succeed in TV as well!
Behind the Music: Fun Facts
After following her career for years, here are some fun facts I‘ve learned about the incredible Kehlani:
- She‘s a trained dancer and performed ballet as a teen.
- Tattooing is one of her hobbies – she has over 30 meaningful tattoos.
- She identifies as queer and has dated both men and women publicly.
- Astrology is a passion of hers – she tracks all the star signs.
- She designed merch collections for Fashion Nova and PrettyLittleThing.
- She loves collecting sneakers – her fave pairs are Jordan 1s.
Kehlani proves that dreams come true with hard work and dedication. Her soulful voice and empowering spirit will live on for generations. I can‘t wait to see what she accomplishes next!