As a long-time Marie Kondo superfan, I‘m excited to share this in-depth introduction to the incredible decluttering expert, reality TV star, and bestselling author!
Age: 38 years old
Birthday: October 9, 1984
Birthplace: Tokyo, Japan
Height: 4‘ 8" / 152 cm
Spouse: Takumi Kawahara
Children: 2 daughters
Occupation: Organizing Consultant, Author, TV Personality
Net Worth: Estimated $8 million
Born in Tokyo, Japan on October 9, 1984, Marie Kondo has inspired millions of fans across the globe with her unique KonMari tidying method. She built her decluttering empire through her bestselling books and hit Netflix show. Here‘s a deep dive into Marie Kondo‘s background, her rise to fame, and her incredible legacy!
Marie Kondo‘s Path to Fame
Growing up in Tokyo, Marie Kondo always had a deep passion for organization and tidying. She began obsessively organizing her room starting at just age 5.
As a young woman, Marie quickly realized her natural talents could help others transform their messy homes. In 2006 at age 19, she founded her professional organizing consultant business in Tokyo.
Demand for Marie‘s services grew rapidly through word-of-mouth. Within 3 years, she had a 3-month long waitlist of clients in Japan eager to have her declutter their homes using her unique KonMari method.
In 2011, Marie decided to share her KonMari tidying philosophy with the world. She published her first book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up." It became a global phenomenon, selling over 11 million copies and being published in over 30 languages.
Her Netflix show Tidying Up with Marie Kondo debuted in 2019. This catapulted Marie to even higher levels of international fame and influence. She became a beloved household name and organizing icon.
What is the KonMari Method?
The KonMari method is Marie Kondo‘s groundbreaking approach to decluttering and tidying up your home. It consists of several key components:
- Declutter by category, not by room. Tackle items in this specific order: clothes, books, papers, miscellaneous, and sentimental items.
- Hold each item and keep only possessions that "spark joy" in you. Discard or donate the rest.
- Visualize your ideal lifestyle and space. Use this vision to guide what you keep.
- Fold clothes, linens and papers into small, neat rectangles to store upright to see contents easily.
- Organize items smartly and return them in neat order to drawers or shelves.
The KonMari method encourages people to declutter thoroughly and keep only belongings they truly cherish. Marie Kondo‘s books explain the methodology in helpful detail with photos.
Marie Kondo‘s Bestselling Books
As an author, Marie Kondo has published several extremely popular books that share her tidying philosophy:
- "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" (2011) – Her debut book explaining the KonMari method. With over 11 million copies sold worldwide, it catapulted Marie Kondo to fame internationally.
- "Spark Joy" (2016) – A visual companion to her first book, with illustrations and step-by-step instructions on implementing the KonMari method.
- "The Manga of Tidying Up" (2017) – A graphic novel version of her method, telling the story of a messy student who learns Marie Kondo‘s approach.
- "Joy at Work" (2020) – Applies Marie‘s method to decluttering and organizing your work life.
Marie Kondo‘s books, especially her smash hit first book, made decluttering approachable and popular around the globe. They empower readers to transform their homes by tidying up.
10 Fun Facts About Marie Kondo
After following Marie Kondo‘s career for years, here are some fun facts I‘ve learned about the organizing expert:
- She became interested in tidying after reading lifestyle and organizing magazines as a teen.
- In high school, she practiced her tidying skills by decluttering her friends‘ rooms.
- Marie can tidy up an entire house in just 2-6 weeks on average.
- Despite writing organizing books, she only keeps about 30 personal books at home.
- She is just 4‘8" / 152 cm tall.
- Marie studied sociology in college but found it boring – she preferred cleaning instead!
- After giving birth to her first child, she stopped tidying for 6 months to adjust to motherhood.
- Marie Kondo once organized her local bookstore in Japan as a fun surprise.
- She decided to name her method "KonMari" combining her name and the Japanese word "mari" meaning "to pile up."
- If she could meet anyone in history, Marie would choose Marie Antoinette to give her tidying advice.
Why is Marie Kondo So Influential?
There are many reasons why Marie Kondo has made such a global impact as a tidying and decluttering expert:
- Her KonMari method provides clear, easy-to-follow steps for decluttering. She breaks it down into categories and achievable tasks.
- Marie promotes a mindset shift around possessions. She teaches that items should "spark joy" to be kept, transforming people‘s attitudes.
- Her approach is gentle, caring and inspiring rather than demanding or judgemental. She wants to sincerely help people.
- Marie Kondo "gamifies" tidying up, making it fun, approachable and even trendy. Her books and Netflix show drive interest in organizing.
- Seeing her dramatic home transformations motivates viewers to declutter. People aspire to achieve similar results in their own homes.
- She provides specific techniques for folding, sorting and storing items neatly to create order. Her methods are smart and effective.
- Marie Kondo built an entire decluttering empire through her books, show, courses, and products that promote her KonMari method.
Marie Kondo made decluttering a joyful, life-enhancing process. She helped millions realize the magic that tidy, clutter-free living can bring! Her positive message will continue inspiring fans like me for years.