|Full Name||Safiya Nygaard|
|Birthday||July 16, 1992|
|Birthplace||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Net Worth||$3 million|
|YouTube||Safiya Nygaard 8.6M subscribers|
|@safiyany 3.5M followers|
With over 8 million subscribers on YouTube, Safiya Nygaard has become one of the most popular internet personalities thanks to her hilarious and insightful videos parodying beauty trends, fashion hauls, DIY projects, and more. Though she got her start at BuzzFeed creating viral videos, Safiya has since gone independent and expanded the reach of her channel even further. Let‘s take a closer look at this multi-talented YouTuber.
Early Life and Education
Safiya was born on July 16, 1992 in Chicago, Illinois. She had an early interest in science and mathematics, serving as valedictorian of her high school class. Safiya went on to study biology and chemistry at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, graduating in 2014 with a Bachelor‘s of Science. During her college years, she struggled with an eating disorder which she has been open about overcoming.
After graduation, Safiya moved to Los Angeles. She had planned on attending medical school but ended up taking a job at BuzzFeed producing videos for their popular YouTube channel. It was here that Safiya created the show "LadyLike" where she tested out feminine lifestyle trends and products. Often putting her own comedic spin on things, she quickly gained a large following.
Some of her most viral BuzzFeed videos included:
- "I Tried a DivaCup For The First Time So You Don‘t Have To" (13M views)
- "I Let My Audience Dress Me For A Week" (8.5M views)
- "Women‘s Ideal Body Types Throughout History" (15M views)
After nearly 3 years and over 185 videos at BuzzFeed, Safiya left in 2017 to pursue her own solo YouTube channel. Her loyal fans stuck with her, as she continued to produce the style of content that had made LadyLike so popular. Safiya often collaborates with other top YouTubers like Tyler Williams and Christine Sydelko on her videos.
Her most viewed solo videos include:
- "I Used A Full Face of Jelly Makeup" (15 million views)
- "I Spent $500 on Amazon‘s Top Influencer Looks" (13 million views)
- "I Turned Myself Into A Cyborg By Putting Computers In My Skin" (12 million views)
- "I Recreated Kylie Jenner‘s Over-The-Top Birthday Party for $10" (25 million views)
Keys to YouTube Success
So what is it exactly about Safiya that makes her videos so entertaining? Here are a few of the keys to her YouTube success:
- Her quirky sense of humor and comedic timing
- Willingness to poke fun at herself
- Relatable reactions to bizarre beauty/lifestyle trends
- Genuine personality that shines through on camera
- Creativity in coming up with video ideas
- Top-notch editing and production value
While she‘s become a YouTube star, Safiya comes across as very down-to-earth on camera. Fans feel like they really get to know the "real her" through her videos.
Fun Facts About Safiya
- She identifies as bisexual.
- Safiya is a former beauty pageant contestant.
- Her fans are called the "Nygaardians."
- She has a popular podcast called "Mature."
- Safiya has been featured in videos by The New Yorker.
Continued Success on YouTube
In just a few short years, Safiya has become one of the biggest stars on YouTube. While she could likely find mainstream success in TV or movies, she seems most at home connecting with fans through her videos. Safiya Nygaard represents a new generation of creative digital media stars who realize that building your own brand online allows unlimited possibilities. Her authenticity, humor, and warped imagination will surely continue delighting fans and racking up millions of views.