Hi there! Have you noticed your eyes feeling tired and strained lately after hours of staring at your screens for work or play? Are you having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep around bedtime? As incredible as our devices are, they can unfortunately take a real toll on our eyes if we don‘t take the right precautions.
But don‘t worry, there‘s an easy and effective solution to protect your eyes and feel better – blue light blocking glasses! In this guide, I‘ll walk you through all the top reasons you should get yourself a pair of these glasses today, along with tips for picking out the best ones to meet your needs. Let‘s dive in!
6 Key Reasons You Need Blue Light Blocking Glasses in Your Life
1. They Soothe Tired, Strained Eyes
It‘s no secret that staring at screens all day can leave your eyes feeling fried. In fact, a 2022 study published in Healthcare found that frequent computer users experienced significant eye strain symptoms like dry eyes, blurred vision, headaches, and eye fatigue. But get this – wearing blue light blocking glasses for just 2 weeks reduced eye strain by over 60% for the majority of participants .
These special glasses work by filtering out high energy blue light wavelengths emitted by our devices that can overwork our eyes. If you often deal with strained, tired eyes after long sessions in front of a screen, blue light blockers might be just what you need to find sweet relief!
2. They Let You Use Devices at Night Without Harming Sleep
Trouble sleeping? The blue light from our screens could be to blame. Studies show just 2 hours of exposure to a blue-enriched LED display in the evening can suppress your natural melatonin levels by about 23% . Melatonin is the hormone that regulates your circadian rhythm and sleep cycle.
By donning a pair of blue light blocking glasses at night, you can still enjoy your devices without all that disruptive blue light wreaking havoc on your sleep schedule. It‘s an easy fix to get your nightly Zzz‘s back on track.
3. They May Reduce Risk of Eye Diseases
Some research has found that too much blue light exposure over time could contribute to vision problems like macular degeneration or cataracts. While more studies are still needed, many experts recommend blue light blocking lenses as a protective measure against these potential long-term risks . I don‘t know about you, but I‘d rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my eye health!
4. They Make Screen Time Way More Comfortable
Staring at brightly lit screens all day can be a pain (literally) in the eyes! In a 2018 study, participants reported significantly improved feelings of eye comfort and less eye fatigue when wearing blue light blocking glasses during computer use . Ditch the discomfort and enjoy your binge-watching marathons in cozy eye comfort.
5. They Can Seriously Boost Your Focus and Productivity
Constant digital eye strain doesn‘t just hurt your eyes – it kills your focus too. A study by The Vision Council revealed a boost in workplace productivity of up to 10% when employees used blue light filtering eyewear . Next time you need to power through important projects, do your eyes (and your concentration) a favor by wearing blue light blockers.
6. They Offer Critical Protection for Kids‘ Eyes
Here‘s a scary fact: kids today spend over 7 hours per day staring at screens ! Their young eyes are especially vulnerable to blue light damage. Getting blue light blocking glasses for your children is a must to ensure their healthy vision development free of avoidable risks.
As you can see, blue light blocking glasses aren‘t just for avoiding a little eye discomfort. They provide some major benefits for protecting your short and long-term eye health. Read on for what to look for when shopping for the perfect pair.
Shopping for Blue Light Blocking Glasses? Here‘s What to Look For
With so many options out there, it can get overwhelming trying to decide on the right blue light blocking glasses for you. Keep these key tips in mind during your search:
Lens Material and Quality
Polycarbonate and acetate materials allow for the crispest visual clarity and durability. Avoid cheap lenses which could distort your view and lack adequate blue light filtering power. High quality lenses maintain their protective abilities much longer.
Blue Light Filtering Capacity
Not all blue light blockers are equal. Glasses that filter 35% of blue light are fine for mild device users, but those blocking 70% or more are best for heavy computer users based on this table from the Vision Council :
|Blue Light Filtering %||Recommended For|
|35%||Mild computer users (less than 2 hrs/day)|
|50-65%||Moderate computer users (2-4 hrs/day)|
|70-100%||Heavy computer users (4+ hrs/day)|
Lens Color and Coating
Amber, orange, yellow, and red lenses are your best bet for effective blue light blocking. Avoid a blue light reflective coating which could distort visuals. An anti-reflective coating is ideal for cutting glare.
Frame Style and Fit
Look for lightweight, durable frames in sizes that fit your face. Adjustable nose pads and lens angles allow for a tailored fit. Poorly fitted frames are liable to give you headaches.
Keep an eye out for extras like UV protection, scratch resistance, anti-glare coating, impact resistance, and prescription lens capability for added value.
Checking out credible user reviews is wise to evaluate real-world performance and quality before you buy. Make sure the company has helpful customer service in case you need to exchange or return.
Still Stumped on Which Blue Light Blockers to Buy? Here Are 5 Worthy Options
To make your purchasing choice easier, I‘ve rounded up the top 5 blue light blocking glasses worth investing in this year based on expert recommendations and enthusiastic user reviews:
Felix Gray Luna Sleep Glasses
- Block 35% blue light for nighttime use
- Reduce melatonin-disrupting blue light
- Stylish unisex frame for all face shapes
- Lightweight acetate frame material
- 90% blue light protection also available
Cyxus Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- Block 95% of 400-455 nm blue light
- Prevent eye fatigue and headaches
- Anti-glare coating reduces screen glare
- TR90 memory plastic adjustable frames
- Lifetime breakage warranty
Gamma Ray 003 Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- Block over 50% of 400-550 nm blue light
- Classic wayfarer style lightweight frames
- Scratch-resistant polycarbonate lenses
- Unisex fit suitable for men and women
- Lifetime breakage warranty
Prospek Blue Light Glasses
- Block over 90% of blue light from screens
- Improve sleep and reduce eye strain
- Anti-reflective lenses maximize visual clarity
- Flexible adjustable TR90 frames
- 100% money back satisfaction guarantee
J+S Vision Blue Light Shield Computer Glasses
- Block over 65% of 400-550 nm blue light
- Relieve eye fatigue from extended screen time
- Reduce glare from monitors and devices
- Customizable magnification up to 3.0X
- Durable frame with silicone nose pads
Maximize the Benefits of Your Blue Light Blocking Glasses
Now that you‘ve got your new blue light blocking glasses ready to go, here are some expert tips to make sure you get the most out of them:
- Wear them consistently during all screen time, especially later in the day.
- Use a microfiber cloth to gently clean lenses as needed.
- Store them in a hard case when not in use to prevent scratches.
- Adjust nose pads and frame angle for your most comfortable fit.
- Take regular screen breaks by following the 20-20-20 rule.
- Reduce evening screen brightness when wearing them.
- Have updated prescription put into lenses if needed.
- Monitor comfort and fit for kids and teach them proper handling.
- Avoid wearing them when driving at night for safety.
Give Your Eyes a Break with Blue Light Blockers
Well there you have it! As you can see, adding blue light blocking glasses into your routine is one of the smartest and easiest ways to take good care of your eyes in our tech-centric world. From reducing painful eye strain to protecting against serious eye health issues, the benefits are just too good to pass up.
Hopefully this guide gave you all the info you need to find your perfect pair. Here‘s to happier, healthier eyes ahead! Let me know if you have any other questions.