Listening to podcasts and streaming your favorite playlists directly from your Apple Watch is an absolute game-changer. With just a few taps on your wrist, you can enjoy access to Spotify‘s massive music and audio library on the go.
In this comprehensive guide, we‘ll walk through exactly how to set up Spotify on your Apple Watch in just a few short steps.
Whether you‘re an exercise enthusiast, busy parent, or frequent multitasker, you‘ll learn how Spotify integration makes the Apple Watch even more useful. Soon you‘ll wonder how you ever lived without your playlists on your wrist!
Let‘s dive in.
Why Put Spotify on Your Apple Watch?
Before we get into the how-to, let‘s look at why you should take the time to install Spotify on your Apple Watch and the key benefits this provides:
Listen Without Your Phone
The #1 reason is simple – you can stream music and podcasts without having your phone on you! For workouts, dog walks, cleaning your home, or other activities, just wear your Apple Watch to seamlessly access Spotify.
Control Playback From Your Wrist
You can fully control the Spotify app directly on your Apple Watch to play, pause, skip tracks, adjust volume, and more without touching your phone.
Access Playlists, Albums & Podcasts
All of your Spotify playlists, albums, artist collections, and podcasts are synced to your Apple Watch after setting up the app. Stream everything you love!
Download for Offline Playback
Paid Spotify Premium subscribers can download playlists for offline listening when they don‘t have an internet connection. Perfect for runs without your phone.
Privacy & Security
Controlling music from your watch provides more privacy and security than using voice commands on your phone in public. Your data stays on your wrist.
For these key reasons, putting Spotify on your Apple Watch enhances convenience, customization, and the overall experience. Now let‘s explore how to set it up.
Step-by-Step Guide to Install Spotify on Apple Watch
Getting up and running only takes a few minutes if you follow our step-by-step walkthrough:
Step 1: Download Spotify App on iPhone
Since your Apple Watch relies on the iPhone for connectivity and apps, we‘ll first download Spotify from the App Store onto your iPhone:
- Open the App Store app on your iPhone.
- Tap the search bar at the bottom and search for "Spotify."
- Tap "Get" to download Spotify.
- After downloading, open Spotify and log into your Spotify account.
This ensures Spotify is installed on your iPhone before setting up your Apple Watch.
Step 2: Open the Apple Watch App on iPhone
The dedicated Apple Watch app on your iPhone allows you to customize and control your Apple Watch. Let‘s open it up:
- On your iPhone‘s home screen, swipe left to access the App Library if you use iOS 14 or later. Or find the app search bar on earlier iOS versions.
- Search for "Apple Watch" and tap to open the Apple Watch app.
This app is essential for pairing devices, installing apps, and personalizing your watch.
Step 3: Install Spotify Through "Available Apps"
Next, it‘s time to install Spotify onto your Apple Watch using the iPhone‘s Watch app:
- Scroll down and tap "Available Apps" to see apps you can install.
- Locate Spotify and tap "Install" to sync it to your Apple Watch.
Pro Tip: Make sure your Apple Watch is charged and powered on to complete the installation.
And that‘s it! Just tap install to add Spotify to your Apple Watch.
Step 4: Open Spotify and Select Content
You can now access and play Spotify directly on your Apple Watch:
- Press the Digital Crown on the side of your watch to open the app screen.
- Locate and tap the Spotify icon to launch the app.
- Browse and tap any playlist, album, podcast, artist, or station to start playing!
Use the Spotify app on your watch to play anything in your Spotify library. Easy as that!
Step 5: Control Playback and Volume from Your Wrist
Now that Spotify is set up, you can use the Apple Watch to:
- Play, pause, skip forward or back
- Adjust volume up and down
- Like or save songs and podcasts
- Open playlists, albums, and other content
It‘s like having a tiny Spotify controller strapped to your wrist!
Next, let‘s look at shortcut for even faster access.
Add Spotify to Your Apple Watch Face
Having to open the Spotify app to start listening isn‘t terrible. But you can save time by putting Spotify right on your Apple Watch face for one-tap access!
Here are the steps to add a Spotify "complication":
- Long press firmly on your current watch face until you feel a haptic tap.
- Tap "Edit" in the bottom left corner.
- Swipe right to "Complications" where you can customize and add widgets.
- Tap an empty complication slot where you want Spotify to go.
- Scroll down the list, select "Spotify" and tap "Add" to pin it.
That‘s it! Now Spotify will be visible as a tiny icon on your watch face to tap and instantly start playing your downloaded playlists and podcasts.
This shortcut lets you access Spotify in just one tap without scrolling through apps. Super convenient!
Listen Without Your Phone Using Offline Mode
One limitation is that free Spotify listeners need their phone nearby to stream from their Apple Watch due to it relying on a Bluetooth connection.
However, Spotify Premium subscribers can download playlists, albums, and podcasts to their watch for offline listening when their phone isn‘t connected!
Here‘s how offline mode works on Apple Watch:
- Only Spotify Premium members can download for offline listening.
- Open Spotify on your watch and tap the ⋮ icon to find available downloads.
- Tap the ⬇️ icon next to any playlist, album or podcast to download it.
- Once downloaded, you can leave your phone behind and listen offline!
This is perfect for runs, workouts, hikes, and other activities where bringing your phone isn‘t convenient. Just throw on your watch and headphones to access music and podcasts without your phone even nearby.
Offline listening is a Spotify Premium feature allowing streaming without your phone.
Troubleshooting Common Spotify Issues
Generally, Spotify will work smoothly on your Apple Watch. But if you experience technical difficulties, we have some troubleshooting tips:
Spotify App Won‘t Install on Watch
If Spotify won‘t install on your Apple Watch, try these fixes:
- Update your iPhone software – Support for latest Spotify version is required
- Update Spotify app on your iPhone (App Store > Updates)
- Ensure your watch is powered on and charged during install
- Confirm Bluetooth is enabled on both devices
- Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone
This usually resolves any installation issues getting Spotify onto your watch.
Spotify Won‘t Play Music on Watch
If your tracks or podcasts won‘t play, check these items:
- Do you have Premium? Only paid accounts allow streaming without phone nearby.
- Is your phone within Bluetooth range if you‘re on the free plan? Keep it within 30 feet.
- Make sure no other devices are streaming on the same Spotify account.
- Reboot both devices then try reconnecting.
- Ensure you didn‘t accidentally put Spotify in offline mode on your watch.
Work through this list to get your music streaming properly from your Apple Watch.
Other Troubleshooting Tips
If you continue having issues, ensure:
- Your Apple Watch is running watchOS 7 or later.
- Your watch is an Apple Watch Series 3 or newer.
- WiFi or cellular data is connected on your iPhone.
- The app is fully closed on both devices before relaunching.
You can also reach out to Spotify customer support or Apple support for additional troubleshooting assistance.
Enjoy Your Favorite Jams on Your Wrist
Thanks for following our complete guide on setting up Spotify streaming on your Apple Watch!
Now you can leave your phone behind and access playlists, albums, podcasts and more all from your wrist. We walked through:
- Downloading and installing Spotify onto your Apple Watch
- Syncing playlists and content
- Playing music and controlling playback
- Adding Spotify as a complication on your watch face
- Enabling offline listening for Spotify Premium members
- Troubleshooting advice for common issues
So tap your foot and nod your head to all your favorite jams using just your Apple Watch with Spotify! Never miss a beat, whether working out or going about your day, with music and podcasts always within reach on your wrist.