|Full Name||Asa Maxwell Thornton Farr Butterfield|
|Age||26 years old|
|Birthday||April 1, 1997|
|Birthplace||Islington, London, England|
|Net Worth||$5 million|
Asa Butterfield is one of the most talented young actors working today. Ever since I first saw him in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas in 2008, I was struck by his incredible emotional depth and raw talent, especially for someone so young. Over a decade later, he has continued to choose interesting roles across film and television that showcase his versatility as a performer.
A Look at Asa‘s Illustrious Career
Butterfield has been acting since childhood, getting his start in television in the mid-2000s. Some career highlights include:
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008) – This Holocaust drama earned Butterfield a British Independent Film Award nomination for Most Promising Newcomer. He was only 11 years old at the time but delivered an incredibly nuanced and moving performance.
- Hugo (2011) – This marked a major career milestone, with Butterfield starring in a Martin Scorsese film and earning rave reviews. He won a Young Artist Award for Best Leading Young Actor for his portrayal of the title character.
- Ender‘s Game (2013) – Butterfield brought Ender Wiggin to life in this sci-fi adaptation, after being hand-picked for the role by author Orson Scott Card himself. The film grossed over $125 million worldwide.
- Sex Education (2019-Present) – This hit Netflix series cemented him as a versatile leading man. Butterfield effortlessly pivots between comedy and drama on the show.
Some other notable credits in this young star‘s filmography include The Wolfman (2010), X+Y (2014), Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (2016), and Journey’s End (2017).
Despite his impressive resume, Butterfield only just turned 26 this year! His career is surely just getting started, and I cannot wait to see what he does next.
Why Asa Butterfield Has Won Our Hearts
There are so many reasons to adore Asa Butterfield:
- His raw talent and emotional depth allow him to disappear into any role, often bringing viewers to tears.
- He chooses projects that are creative, offbeat, and challenging – not just blockbusters.
- He‘s incredibly humble and gracious in interviews, not letting fame go to his head.
- His subtle, nuanced acting makes every character three-dimensional.
- Dry wit and charm make him endlessly charismatic on and off-screen.
It is clear that Butterfield is not in acting for the fame, but for the sheer love of the craft. He is wise beyond his years and I cannot wait to see how he continues to develop as a performer.
5 Fun Facts All Asa Butterfield Fans Should Know
- Butterfield is an avid gamer and has said if he wasn‘t an actor, he would be a game developer. He almost missed his audition for Hugo because he was too absorbed in a game!
- He has been doing impressions of family and friends since he was three years old. Christopher Walken and Yoda are among his go-to impressions.
- Asa is a Star Wars super fan and waited in line for 24 hours to get tickets for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- He is red-green colorblind, so he wore special contacts for the 3D effects in Hugo.
- Butterfield plays several instruments including guitar, drums, and trumpet. He also enjoys making electronic music.
Answers to Common Asa Butterfield FAQs
How old is Asa Butterfield?
Asa Butterfield was born on April 1, 1997, making him 26 years old as of 2023.
Where is Asa Butterfield from?
He was born in Islington, London England and still resides in London when not filming projects abroad.
Is Asa Butterfield dating anyone?
Asa likes to keep his romantic life very private. There are no reports that he is currently dating anyone publicly.
What is Asa Butterfield‘s net worth?
His net worth is estimated to be around $5 million dollars, accumulated from his nearly 20 years as a working actor along with endorsements.
What will Asa Butterfield be in next?
His next role will be in the upcoming thriller series Connected premiering later this year. He is also set to star opposite Maisie Williams in the film The Wolves.