Denarie Taylor, known professionally as Bella Poarch, is a Philippine-born American singer and social media personality who has taken the internet by storm, especially on TikTok where she reigns as the platform‘s most-followed creator. Read on for a detailed look into the meteoric rise of this Gen Z phenomenon.
Her Early Life and Path to Fame
Born in the Philippines on February 9, 1997, Bella Poarch moved to the United States at the young age of 13 where she later enlisted in the US Navy. She was stationed at Naval Base San Diego before being honorably discharged in 2021 after 3 years of service. It was in early 2020, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, when Bella opened her TikTok account and started uploading videos. She quickly went viral with her very first TikTok featuring her adopted pet Lily, officially kicking off her journey to internet stardom.
But it was her August 2020 lip-sync video to Millie B‘s "M to the B" that truly launched her into the stratosphere. The 15-second clip highlighting her alternative girl-next-door vibe with tattoos, piercings, and green hair has amassed over 560 million views and counting. Thanks to the success of "M to the B", Bella gained tens of millions of followers within weeks, hitting 50 million by September 2020. She started posting more dance videos, vlogs, and comedic content, showing off her fun personality and diverse talents. By January 2021, Bella made history as the most-followed person on TikTok, now with over 90 million loyal fans.
Expanding Her Influence Across All Platforms
As her star power grew exponentially on TikTok in 2020, Bella Poarch expanded her online presence rapidly by launching accounts across social media. She now has over 38 million Instagram followers where she posts fashion, beauty and promotional content. On YouTube, her vlogs, challenges and Q&As have earned over 5.6 million subscribers. She also keeps over 1.3 million Twitter followers entertained with her humor and realtalk.
Aside from social media, I‘ve loved seeing Bella get involved in other entertainment projects this past year. She released her debut single "Build a B****" in 2021 which was a major moment for her blossoming music career. She also launched her own merchandise line called PoarchLife, partnered with brands, appeared in music videos, and joined popular YouTuber collectives. Bella has proven she is an ambitious multimedia force to be reckoned with!
The Keys to Her Meteoric Success
Looking at her extraordinary rise over the past three years, there are a few factors that I think contributed to Bella‘s resonance with her audience:
- Relatable Personality – Between her humor and candor, Bella feels like the cool girl-next-door who doesn‘t take herself too seriously. Her fans feel like they know the real her.
- Engaging Content – Whether she‘s dancing, baking, doing Q&As or trying viral challenges, her content keeps viewers hooked and coming back.
- Unique Background – Her Filipina heritage and military service make Bella a one-of-a-kind role model and gives her content multi-dimensional appeal.
- Alternative Style – She fits right in with Gen Z‘s aesthetic preferences with her edgy fashion, dyed hair, piercings and tattoos.
- Philippines Representation – As a Filipina creator, she represents an audience that hasn‘t seen themselves in influencers often.
- Fan Interaction – She consistently replies to comments, makes fan shoutout videos and helps amplify smaller creators to show she cares.
What the Future Holds for Bella Poarch
At only 26, Bella Poarch‘s career is still in its early stages which is so exciting as a longtime fan. Her rapid success so far makes me confident she has the potential to ascend to elite social media celebrity status. I predict and hope to see the following projects from her in the future:
- New Music Releases – EPs and albums that highlight her pop-star singing abilities
- Acting Ventures – Given her charisma, she could land big movie or TV roles
- Business Endeavors – A makeup line would perfectly align with her brand
- Philanthropy – She has a big platform to give back and support causes important to her
- More Collabs – I‘d love to see her collab with top YouTubers, TikTokers, brands etc.
- World Tour – A live tour where fans can see her perform her music and meet her in real life!
If her success so far is any indication, Bella Poarch will continue her reign over the internet for years to come. She has clearly resonated with millions of Gen Z viewers who feel represented by her unique blend of humor, charm and realness. As her loyal fan since early on, I can‘t wait to keep supporting her through every career milestone that lies ahead!