Full Name: Paris Whitney Hilton
Born: February 17, 1981 (age 42 years), New York City, New York, United States
Net Worth: $300 million
Occupation: Media personality, businesswoman, model, singer, actress, DJ
Spouse: Carter Reum (married 2021)
Parents: Richard Hilton, Kathy Hilton
Siblings: Nicky Hilton, Barron Hilton, Conrad Hilton
- Instagram (20.4M Followers)
- Twitter (17.1M Followers)
- YouTube (277K Subscribers)
- TikTok (8.4M Followers)
Early Life and Background
Socialite Paris Hilton is a great-granddaughter of hotel magnate Conrad Hilton, founder of the Hilton Hotel chain. She grew up in luxury in Beverly Hills with her parents Rick and Kathy Hilton, and siblings Nicky, Barron, and Conrad.
Even as a child, Paris was fascinated with fame and living the high life. She started modeling at a young age, appearing in ads and magazines. As a teen, Paris became a fixture on the New York party scene, sneaking out at night to go clubbing.
Rise to Fame in the Early 2000s
Paris first caught the media‘s attention in the late 90s as a socialite and friend of various celebs. However, her fame skyrocketed in 2003 when she starred in the reality show The Simple Life with Nicole Richie.
The show followed Paris and Nicole‘s misadventures working low-wage jobs around the country. Paris‘ ditzy blonde persona and catchphrases like “that‘s hot” became iconic.
The Simple Life was a massive hit, cementing Paris‘ A-list status. Her partying antics and relationships kept her in the tabloid headlines 24/7. Then in 2003, her sex tape was leaked, launching her fame to new heights.
Becoming a Multimedia Empire in the Mid-2000s
By the mid-2000s, Paris had built herself into a highly lucrative brand empire:
- Hit reality shows
- Chart-topping studio album
- Hollywood film roles
- 20+ fashion and fragrance lines
Paris was also a major trendsetter of the 2000s. Everything from her baby talk voice to her flashy style inspired millions of fans globally.
During her peak fame era of 2006-2007, Paris:
- Released platinum album Paris
- Starred in box office hits like House of Wax
- Launched 24+ fragrances and retail stores
- Was named one of Time‘s 100 Most Influential People
However, by the late 2000s, Paris‘ brand was waning from legal troubles and partying. Jail marked a turning point in her career.
Reinventing Her Image in the 2010s and Beyond
After taking a break following her jail sentence, Paris slowly returned to the spotlight determined to reinvent her image beyond being a socialite.
Major career highlights from the 2010s/2020s include:
- Launching a billion dollar global retail and product empire
- Becoming one of the world‘s highest paid DJs
- Investing in multiple tech startups
- Starring in new reality shows and campaigns
- Returning to music in 2018 with new single “I Need You”
- Appearing in YouTube documentary This is Paris about her personal life
Now in her 40s, Paris remains an influential figure who helped pioneer modern influencer culture.
By the Numbers: Paris‘ Fame and Fortune
- 45+ – Paris Hilton retail stores worldwide
- $300 million – Estimated net worth
- 20.4 million – Paris‘ Instagram followers
- Over 25 – Total fragrances created by Paris
- 19 – Paris‘ product lines including fashion, pets, liquor, accessories and more
- $2 billion – Estimated revenue from Paris‘ fragrance empire
- 75+ – Countries where Paris has sold branded products
5 Fun Paris Facts
- Paris‘ dogs like Tinkerbell became celebs themselves and appeared on her shows.
- She is related to multiple famous Hiltons, including Kim and Kyle Richards.
- Paris turned down a role in 1999‘s The Matrix.
- She briefly dated Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys.
- Her fragrances have grossed over $3 billion collectively since 2004.
The Legacy of Paris Hilton
While often mocked in her youth, Paris‘ impact is undisputed:
- Becoming famous simply for her lifestyle and persona
- Being one of the first influencers, promoting brands years before it was an industry
- Helping launch the reality TV era with The Simple Life
- Inspiring ‘celebutantes‘ like Kim Kardashian
- Using her platform to connect with fans in new ways via social media
- Creating iconic catchphrases like “that‘s hot”
Paris pioneered modern celebrity culture and obsession with the rich and famous. She shrewdly leveraged it all into a multi-billion dollar empire. While controversial, her ingenuity and business acumen can‘t be denied.