Spotify is one of the top names in music streaming today, offering both free and paid subscription options to millions of listeners worldwide. But is Spotify‘s family plan worth it for you? Let‘s dive into the details of pricing, features and compare it to other plans to help you decide.
The Rise of Spotify‘s Premium Subscriptions
Spotify originated in Sweden in 2006, founded by Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon as an alternative to music piracy. After launching in Europe in 2008, Spotify arrived in the US in 2011 and now operates in over 178 markets globally. The company has seen tremendous growth – Spotify now counts over 456 million monthly active users, including 188 million paying subscribers as of 2022 (source: Spotify Q2 2022 earnings report).
Initially, Spotify only offered a free, ad-supported music streaming option. But in 2009, they introduced Spotify Premium – an ad-free, feature-rich paid subscription. This now generates over 90% of Spotify‘s revenue.
Since then, Spotify has expanded their Premium offerings:
- Spotify Premium Individual – $9.99/month (launched 2009)
- Spotify Premium Student – $4.99/month (launched 2014)
- Spotify Premium Duo – $12.99/month (launched 2019)
- Spotify Premium Family – $15.99/month (launched 2014)
The Family Plan grants discounted access for up to 6 household members, which can offer big savings for families. But how exactly does it work, and is it the right fit for your family?
Comparing Spotify‘s Subscription Plans
Let‘s examine how Spotify‘s Family plan compares to other subscription options:
|Plan||Monthly Price||Who‘s eligible||Key perks|
|Individual||$9.99||1 account||Ad-free listening|
|Duo||$12.99||2 accounts||2 Premium accounts|
|Student||$4.99||1 student||Ad-free listening + Hulu bundle|
|Family||$15.99||Up to 6 family members||6 Premium accounts + parental controls|
All tiers provide ad-free listening, offline downloads, unlimited skips, high quality audio, personalized playlists, and access to Spotify‘s full catalog of over 82 million tracks.
But the Family plan offers the best value for households with its 6-for-1 discounted pricing. A Family plan with 6 members costs 57% less than buying 6 Individual plans.
Requirements for Spotify‘s Family Plan
To use Spotify‘s Family plan, all members must reside at the same residential address. Spotify will ask for verification if they suspect misuse.
Up to 6 total accounts can be added. This includes both adults and kids aged 13 and above (or 3 and above for Spotify Kids accounts).
The main account holder manages the family group and handles invite, payment, parental control, and account cancellation. Family members can‘t make changes on their own.
Spotify‘s Family plan has now expanded to over 78 countries worldwide, though availability still varies by region. Check Spotify‘s website to confirm it‘s offered in your country.
Pros of Choosing the Spotify Family Plan
Opting for a Family plan over individual accounts has several advantages:
- Save up to 50% for families – At $15.99 for 6 members, it‘s a huge discount over buying separate subscriptions.
- Personalized accounts – Each family member gets their own playlists, favorites, history, and recommendations.
- Block explicit music – Easily filter content for younger listeners using the main account parental controls.
- One bill – No need to manage separate payment for each family member‘s subscription fee.
- High audio quality – Enjoy high bitrate streaming, equal to Individual plan subscribers.
- Free trial eligibility – New Family plan subscribers can test it out risk-free for 30 days.
Potential Drawbacks of the Family Plan
Despite its perks, some limitations exist to consider as well:
- Strict household rules – All members must live at the same address, which may exclude remote family.
- 6 accounts max – Bigger families might require more than 6 subscriptions.
- Can‘t jointly listen – Family members can‘t collaboratively listen or share playlists.
- Limited account controls – Only the plan owner can manage settings, payments, and content filtering.
- Account termination – Canceling the plan reverts all members back to regular unpaid accounts.
- Eligibility requirements – Family plan isn‘t offered everywhere Spotify is available.
Spotify Family Plan Usage and Trends
How popular is Spotify‘s Family plan compared to other tiers? As of 2022:
- 188 million total Spotify premium subscribers
- Over 33% subscribe to the Family plan (approx. 62 million)
- Family plan adoption rising faster than other plans
- Average family plan has 5.5 accounts (source: Midia Research)
The Family plan represents Spotify‘s fastest growing premium segment. Adoption has risen 33% year-over-year compared to 26% growth for Individual plans (source: Spotify). The more accounts per plan also provides higher revenue per subscriber for Spotify.
How Spotify‘s Family Plan Compares to Competition
Most other music streamers now offer discounted family plans as well:
- Apple Music: Family plan is $14.99/month for up to 6 members
- Amazon Music Unlimited: Family plan is $14.99/month for up to 6 members
- YouTube Music: Family plan is $14.99/month for up to 5 members
- Pandora Plus: Family plan is $14.99/month for up to 6 members
Spotify remains very competitively priced versus alternatives, offering 6 full premium accounts for the same $14.99 – $15.99 monthly fee.
However, Spotify‘s family plan beats competitors in size, availability globally, and maturity over 7+ years attracting subscribers. The other offerings only launched family plans within the past 2-3 years.
Is Spotify‘s Family Plan Worth it for You?
With 6 accounts for the price of 2.5, Spotify‘s Premium Family plan can unlock huge savings for eligible households. But weigh the pros and cons smartly based on your specific needs:
Consider the Family Plan if:
- You have 2-6 family members who want to stream music
- You want to save money compared to buying individual plans
- You don‘t mind the account owner managing settings, payment, restrictions
- You meet the residential eligibility requirements
Individual plans may be better if:
- You need more than 6 account subscriptions
- You want to share playlists or listen together
- Your family lives in different households
- You value personal account control over discounts
For qualifying households, Spotify‘s Family plan is a smart, budget-friendly option for enjoying premium music streaming as a family. Take advantage of the free 30 day trial to experience the benefits across your household. Reach out to Spotify support if any questions come up when getting your family set up. Happy listening!