Donnie Wahlberg‘s Profile
| Full Name | Donald Edmond Wahlberg Jr. |
| Age | 54 years old|
| Birthday | August 17, 1969|
| Birthplace | Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
| Death Date | N/A |
| Birth Sign | Leo |
| Born | United States|
| Height | 5′ 10′′ |
| Net Worth | $25 million |
| Social Accounts | Facebook, Twitter, Instagram |
About Donnie Wahlberg
Donald Edmond Wahlberg Jr. was born on August 17, 1969 in Boston‘s Dorchester neighborhood. He comes from a large working class Irish Catholic family, the youngest of nine children including his more famous older brother, actor Mark Wahlberg. Donnie first got his start with the boy band New Kids on the Block in 1984, quickly rising to become their lead singer. The group became massively popular and helped pioneer the boy band craze of the late 80s and early 90s.
After New Kids on the Block disbanded in 1994, Donnie decided to pursue an acting career. Despite early skepticism, he soon proved himself a versatile performer with roles in acclaimed films like The Sixth Sense, Ransom and The Saw franchise. On television, he has starred on notable shows such as Boomtown, Blue Bloods and Wahlburgers. Donnie is also active behind the scenes, producing unscripted series focused on his hometown of Boston.
Beyond entertainment, Donnie dedicates time to charitable foundations supporting youth, the arts and the hungry. He lives with his wife Jenny McCarthy, having children from previous relationships. Donnie maintains a close bond with his large extended family in Boston.
Early Life and Career Beginnings
Donnie Wahlberg grew up as the youngest boy among nine siblings in a cramped three-bedroom apartment in Dorchester. After his parents divorced, times were often tough for the family. Donnie‘s mother took multiple jobs to provide for the children. Despite the struggles, the family maintained a strong bond.
As a teen, Donnie briefly joined the early incarnation of Mark‘s musical group Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, even appearing on their first (and only) album. But in 1984, a chance encounter led to Donnie‘s joining New Kids on the Block. He became the breakout star, noted for his good looks, bad boy persona and lead vocals. Donnie helped propel their debut album to chart-topping, multi-platinum success.
After New Kids on the Block disbanded, Donnie decided to pursue acting. Skeptics doubted his talent, but he quickly proved himself with acclaimed performances.
- The Sixth Sense (1999) – Donnie earned strong reviews for his supporting role in the smash hit thriller alongside Bruce Willis. His emotional performance culminated with a tearjerking scene where his character discovers his wife‘s secret.
- Band of Brothers (2001) – Donnie played a WWII lieutenant in one chapter of the critically lauded Stephen Spielberg/Tom Hanks produced HBO miniseries.
- Saw II (2005) – Donnie first played the role of Detective Eric Matthews in this ultra-popular horror franchise. His intense performance added depth to the gory films.
- Blue Bloods (2010-Present) – As NYPD detective Danny Reagan, Donnie anchors this long-running police family drama. Fans love Danny‘s passion for justice and family.
As New Kids on the Block‘s breakout star, Donnie‘s vocals drove their young female fan hysteria. Songs like "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" and "I‘ll Be Loving You (Forever)" highlighted his vocal talents and heartthrob appeal. The group‘s string of chart-topping albums and sold-out tours made them icons of the boy band era.
After their 1994 breakup, Donnie went on to release solo hip hop and R&B influenced albums like One Love and Within My Reach. He‘s continued singing, whether with NKOTB reunions or television performances over the years.
5 Reasons We Love Donnie Wahlberg
- He‘s a versatile actor – From comedy to drama, TV to movies, Donnie has range!
- His bad boy charisma – That tough guy swagger balanced with humility and humor.
- Musical talent – The vocals that fueled NKOTB to the top of the charts.
- Family man – He‘s a dedicated husband and father.
- Boston pride – Donnie reps his hometown hard, even producing shows that spotlight his city.
10 Interesting Facts About Donnie
- His real middle name is Edmond after his father.
- Donnie was the first NKOTB member to release solo music in 1989.
- He met his wife Jenny McCarthy on his talk show The Jenny McCarthy Show.
- Donnie has an aquaphobia, or fear of water, since childhood.
- He earned a first Golden Globe nomination for The Sixth Sense.
- Donnie has two sons from his first marriage and one with Jenny McCarthy.
- He owns a Chevrolet dealership in Illinois.
- Donnie has appeared in Lady Gaga and Mariah Carey music videos.
- His production company is called Donnie D Productions.
- Donnie has a restraining order against an overzealous stalker.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is Donnie Wahlberg‘s birthday?
Donnie was born on August 17, 1969. He turns 54 this year.
What band was Donnie Wahlberg in?
Donnie was a founding member and lead singer of the popular boy band New Kids on the Block from 1984 to 1994.
How much is Donnie Wahlberg worth?
Donnie Wahlberg‘s net worth is estimated to be $25 million. His wealth comes from entertainment endeavors spanning music, film and television.
Is Donnie Wahlberg still acting?
Yes, Donnie is still actively acting! He currently stars as Danny Reagan in the police family drama Blue Bloods on CBS.
How many kids does Donnie Wahlberg have?
Donnie has two sons from his first marriage to Kim Fey and one son with his current wife Jenny McCarthy, so three sons total.