Joe Gatto Profile
Full Name: Joseph Anthony Gatto Jr.
Birthday: June 5, 1976
Age: 47 years old (as of 2023)
Born: Staten Island, New York, United States
Relationship Status: Divorced Bessy Gatto (m. 2003–2022)
Height: 5‘ 10" (1.78 m)
Net Worth: $5 million
Early Life in Staten Island
Joseph Anthony Gatto Jr. was born in Staten Island, New York on June 5, 1976. His parents were Joseph Gatto Sr. and Dianne Fernandes, and he grew up alongside two sisters in a typical Italian-American family.
Ever since he was a kid, Joe loved making people laugh. He was always the class clown in school pulling pranks and looking for the humor in everyday situations.
Joe attended Monsignor Farrell High School where he played football and continued honing his comedic skills. After graduating in 1995, he went on to study finance at Long Island University.
Meeting the Jokers in College
It was at LIU that Joe crossed paths with the other future Impractical Jokers – James "Murr" Murray, Brian "Q" Quinn, and Sal Vulcano. All four guys connected over their mutual love of comedy and similar senses of humor.
They started performing improv and doing sketch comedy together around campus and at local bars. The more they entertained crowds, the more they realized they had something special brewing.
Even after graduating college, the four friends kept performing comedy together and eventually officially formed "The Tenderloins" troupe in 1999.
Landing Impractical Jokers on truTV
The Tenderloins tried out for NBC‘s It‘s Your Show competition in 2006 and became finalists, garnering some TV exposure. But it wasn‘t until 5 years later that they finally got their big break.
truTV took a chance on the unknown comedy troupe and greenlit their new hidden camera prank show idea called Impractical Jokers in 2011. Joe and the rest of The Tenderloins became household names once the show became a monster hit.
Impractical Jokers is now in its 10th season with over 200 episodes, solidifying its status as one of cable TV‘s most popular shows.
Joe‘s Funniest Pranks and Punishments
Over the years, Joe has cemented himself as the lovable prankster of the group. Here are some of his most hilarious and cringe-worthy moments that have left us in tears:
- Pretending his hand was stuck in a vending machine – Joe had to convince passersby to help dislodge his "trapped" hand, leading to their shocked reactions when he finally freed himself.
- Invading people‘s personal space – One of Joe‘s signature moves is getting uncomfortably close to strangers and invading their personal space bubbles.
- Dishing out insults as a fake psychic – Joe had to improv rude psychic readings for customers, at one point telling a woman she looks like a horse.
- Getting repeatedly slapped by a professional wrestler – After losing a challenge, Joe received his punishment of getting slapped hard across the face over and over by wrestling legend Dan Severn.
- Having his belly hair waxed – Joe had to endure the excruciating pain of having his belly hair ripped off completely with hot wax.
Behind the Scenes: Joe‘s Off-Camera Personality
While Joe plays up his mischievous, goofy persona on Impractical Jokers, crew members say he‘s much more calm and introspective in real life. He‘s often quiet and pensive when planning out ideas for the show behind the scenes.
Joe is also very health-conscious and regimented about his diet and exercise routine, which is how he maintains his slim physique. He enjoys spending time with his wife Bessy and their two kids when not filming.
Crew members describe Joe as extremely nice, humble, and professional to work with. He always makes sure the whole team is taken care of and appreciated.
Why Joe Gatto Is Impossible Not to Love
- He‘s willing to do anything for comedy – No prank or punishment is too wild or embarrassing for Joe if it means making people laugh.
- He has incredible improv skills – Joe never breaks character during pranks and his quick wit always plays off others perfectly.
- He has natural charm and charisma – There‘s something about Joe‘s goofy demeanor that makes everyone instantly like him.
- He‘s stayed humble despite fame – Success hasn‘t gone to Joe‘s head at all; he remains down-to-earth and gracious to fans.
- He‘s multi-talented – In addition to his comedy chops, Joe is a gifted writer, producer, director, and artist.
Joe Gatto has been bringing joy to millions through Impractical Jokers for over a decade now. His zany antics and fearless approach to comedy have earned him a special place in fans‘ hearts. We can‘t wait to see what hilarity he gets up to next!