As a long-time Lil Yachty fan, I‘m excited to provide a detailed overview of this unique, influential hip hop artist. Here‘s the essential info you need to know:
|Full Name||Miles Parks McCollum|
|Birthday||August 23, 1997|
|Net Worth||$8 million|
|Social Media||Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube|
American rapper/singer Lil Yachty gained recognition on the internet in 2015 for his unique "bubblegum trap" music. With his playful lyrical style and relentlessly positive personality, Yachty has become one of the most refreshing new voices in hip hop.
Biography and Early Life
Lil Yachty grew up as Miles McCollum in the Atlanta suburbs. He was raised by a single mother along with his three siblings. As a socially awkward teen, he found solace in hip hop and taught himself to rap and produce beats on his laptop.
Yachty adopted his nautical stage name after developing a fascination with the hip hop group The Sailing Team. While briefly attending high school, he got suspended for poor grades before dropping out to focus on music full-time.
Rise to Fame
Yachty first exploded onto the SoundCloud scene in 2015 with tracks like "Minnesota" and "One Night." His laidback rapping blended with sugary sweet R&B melodies created a distinctive youthful sound now dubbed "bubblegum trap."
After getting co-signed by hip hop collective Quality Control, Lil Yachty released his viral debut mixtape Lil Boat in 2016. Led by hits like "1Night" and "Broccoli," the mixtape propelled Yachty into the mainstream and peaked at #2 on the Rap Charts.
The young Atlanta sensation cemented himself as a new prince of hip hop by landing endorsement deals with Target and Sprite. His infectiously playful image resonated with youth culture and amassed Yachty millions of teenage fans.
Music Style & Impact
What separates Lil Yachty is his refreshing, unapologetic rebelliousness. While old heads criticized his distorted vocals and lack of bars, Yachty laughed his haters off and forged his own lane.
His ambient, sun-soaked production and earnest lyrical content defied hip hop conventions. Yachty even boldly proclaimed he "does not care about lyrics" in a heated viral debate with rapper Joe Budden.
Yet his signature sound undoubtedly left a mark. Yachty demonstrated melodic rap could dominate the mainstream and opened the floodgates for similar artists like Lil Uzi Vert. While his own bars are simple, his cultural impact is undeniable.
- 4 studio albums, including 2 Top 5 Billboard 200 projects
- Sold out first headlining tour in 2017
- 14 Billboard Hot 100 hits like "iSpy" and "Oprah‘s Bank Account"
- Over 5 million digital singles sold
- Launched his own fashion line with Nautica & Urban Outfitters
- Starred in HBO series Euphoria and films like How High 2
For a young artist of only 26, Yachty boasts an impressively extensive resume. His cultural influence even earned him a spot performing at Obama‘s White House in 2016.
Why Lil Yachty Matters
As a long-time fan, here are just some of the reasons I feel Lil Yachty matters both as an artist and role model:
- He celebrates individuality and self-love. Yachty reminds people it‘s cool to just be yourself, regardless of what anyone else thinks.
- His positivity is infectious. While plenty of hip hop fixates on darkness, Yachty provides a reminder to keep our heads up.
- He makes hip hop fun again. With his oddball samples from Rugrats and joyful energy, Yachty takes the music back to carefree basics.
- He inspires underdogs. Coming up as a social outcast, Yachty gives hope that with determination and creativity, anything is possible.
Fun Facts About Lil Boat
- He‘s a skateboarding enthusiast and even has a skate crew called The Sailing Team.
- Yachty collects rare basketball cards and considers it one of his biggest passions. His card collection is worth over $500,000!
- Before rapping, he did some modeling work and walked runway shows for Kanye‘s Yeezy fashion line.
- Yachty admits he still lives with his mom in his hometown of Atlanta.
- His real name "Miles" is a nod to legendary jazz musician Miles Davis.
The Future is Bright for Lil Boat
Even after breaking through in monumental fashion, at just 26 years old, Lil Yachty is truly just getting started. He continues dropping acclaimed projects, starring in films and TV shows, and expanding his fashion empire.
Yet no matter how massive a celebrity Yachty becomes, he never seems to lose touch with that sincere, youthful spirit that makes his music magical. For old and new fans alike, it‘s exciting to think what the future has in store for the King of Teenage Emotions himself.