|Full Name||Richard Tiffany Gere|
|Birthday||August 31, 1949|
|Born||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Relationship||Married to Alejandra Silva|
|Net Worth||$120 million|
|Social Profiles||Facebook, Twitter, Instagram|
As a long-time fan of Richard Gere, I‘m delighted to provide this in-depth introduction to the iconic actor and humanitarian. Gere rose to fame in the late 1970s with films like Looking for Mr. Goodbar before becoming a leading man in the ‘80s thanks to An Officer and a Gentleman. His career hit new heights in the ‘90s with blockbusters like Pretty Woman and Primal Fear.
In addition to his acting talents, Gere is also known for his decades-long support of human rights causes. He has advocated extensively for Tibetan independence and aided refugees worldwide through charitable organizations. Gere is not just a celebrity – he uses his platform to make a genuine difference.
An Accomplished Film Career Over Five Decades
Richard Gere‘s diverse filmography demonstrates his exceptional range as an actor. After early stage and film work, his breakthrough came as a gritty Vietnam vet in An Officer and a Gentleman (1982). Gere cemented his leading man status with this memorable performance.
In the 1980s, Gere also starred in top films like The Cotton Club, Pretty Woman, Primal Fear and Runaway Bride. His flawless acting, combined with undeniable charm, turned Gere into one of Hollywood‘s biggest stars.
Some career highlights include:
- American Gigolo (1980) – Gere played a high-priced male escort entangled in a murder case. His performance established his reputation as a sex symbol.
- An Officer and a Gentleman (1982) – Gere‘s complex role as Zack Mayo earned him a Golden Globe nomination and cemented his star status.
- Pretty Woman (1990) – Gere and Julia Roberts lit up the screen in this beloved rom-com. Their chemistry made it hugely successful.
- Primal Fear (1996) – Gere played a defense attorney in this psychological thriller. He received widespread praise for his edgy performance.
- Chicago (2002) – As slick lawyer Billy Flynn, Gere finally received an Oscar nomination and won a Golden Globe award.
Well into his 70s, Gere continues taking on challenging roles that showcase his tremendous ability. He remains an engaging screen presence.
Extensive Humanitarian Efforts and Activism
Richard Gere goes beyond acting by dedicating himself to human rights and global causes. He has been a passionate activist for decades.
Some of his efforts include:
- Supporting Tibet – Gere is a practicing Buddhist who has advocated for Tibetan independence and the Dalai Lama since the 1980s. He co-founded Tibet House US and the Gere Foundation.
- Aiding Refugees – He has been a forceful voice for refugees worldwide, working with organizations like UNHCR and the International Rescue Committee.
- Promoting Human Rights – Gere supports causes related to AIDS prevention, indigenous rights, environmentalism, and women‘s rights. He uses his platform to speak on these important issues.
- Providing Disaster Relief – He has provided relief aid to several countries facing crises, like Nicaragua and Kosovo.
Richard Gere doesn‘t just talk about change – he actively works to create it. His humanitarian spirit is incredibly inspiring.
Fun Facts and Interesting Insights on Richard Gere
As a devoted fan, here are some fun Richard Gere facts I‘ve learned over the years:
- He dropped out of college to pursue music, spending time playing guitar in Europe
- Gere is a trained pianist, magician, gymnast, and trumpet player
- He received a gymnastics scholarship to the University of Massachusetts
- Gere has studied martial arts for over 25 years, earning black belts in several disciplines
- In high school, he served as class president and was in the drama club
- His middle name, Tiffany, was his grandmother‘s maiden name
- Gere is an accomplished photographer and poet, publishing several books
- He has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame – for film and humanitarian work
Richard Gere remains one of the most versatile, talented actors of our time. Both on and off-screen, he has made tremendous contributions over an illustrious career spanning 50 years. Gere is a true Hollywood icon.