|Full Name||Daystar Peterson|
|Birthday||July 27, 1992|
|Birth Place||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Net Worth||$2 million|
|Social Media||Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube|
Canadian rapper, singer & producer Tory Lanez is known for the mixtape ‘Conflicts of My Soul: The 416 Story‘ and hit singles like “LUV” and “Say It.” With his raw talent and authentic persona, Lanez has become one of the most prominent figures in today‘s hip hop scene.
Early Life and Upbringing in Toronto
Born Daystar Peterson in Toronto, Canada, Lanez faced a tumultuous childhood. His mother was constantly in and out of jail, while his father was largely absent. This led to Lanez being raised primarily by his grandmother in the downtown neighborhood of Scarborough.
Lanez‘s experiences growing up in poverty and dealing with family dysfunction caused him to turn to music at an early age. He began rapping and singing by age 9, finding solace in artistic expression. By 15, the talented teen was regularly performing at outdoor concerts in Toronto and uploading his music videos to YouTube.
Gaining Recognition with Mixtapes
Lanez released his first mixtape “T L 2 T O” in 2009 under the moniker Tory Lanez. Full of catchy hooks and impressive rhyme skills, the mixtape put Lanez on the map. He began collaborating with major artists like Meek Mill, Roscoe Dash and Kirko Bangz while dropping mixtapes “Mr. 1 Verse” and “Sincerely Tory” between 2009-2012.
In 2013, Lanez really gained attention when he was named a member of XXL‘s Freshman Class, a coveted list of up-and-coming rappers. More mixtapes followed, including “Conflicts of My Soul: The 416 Story” which contains Lanez’s breakout hit “Say It.” Showcasing his distinctive vocal tone and melody, “Say It” demonstrated Lanez‘s ability to seamlessly switch between rapping and singing.
Rise to Fame with Debut Album “I Told You”
After building significant buzz, Lanez released his long-awaited debut album “I Told You” in August 2016. The album debuted at #4 on the Billboard 200 and was met with widespread critical acclaim.
I Told You marked Lanez‘s arrival as a major force in hip hop. Songs like "LUV" and "Say It" became massive hits, establishing Lanez as a master of catchy pop-rap melodies. Yet Lanez also showed off his versatility, blending R&B vocals and lyrics reflecting on his difficult upbringing. With its raw emotion and genre-bending production, I Told You connected deeply with fans.
Lanez supported the album release with the massive “I Told You Tour” throughout 2016-2017. His electric live performances solidified his reputation as an exciting emerging voice putting his unique stamp on hip hop.
Recent Projects and Achievements
Since his breakthrough, Lanez has continued releasing hit albums and high-profile collaborations:
- The New Toronto 2 mixtape (2018)
- Love Me Now? album with hit single “Freaky” (2018)
- Features on DaBaby’s “Ball If I Want To” and Teyana Taylor’s “WTP” (2020)
- Daystar album addressing Megan Thee Stallion shooting controversy (2020)
- Single “Beautiful” with Justin Bieber (2021)
Lanez has racked up major awards recognition, including:
- 4 Grammy nominations
- BET Hip Hop Award for Best New Artist
- BMI R&B/Hip-Hop Award for “Say It”
- Multiple Juno Award nominations
Why Tory Lanez Matters
In my opinion as a longtime hip hop fan, there are a few key reasons why Tory Lanez stands out as an important artist:
- Unique vocal style: Lanez utilizes a distinctive strained croon and an impressive vocal range seamlessly blending rapping and singing.
- Emotively honest lyrics: Lanez mines his painful childhood for cathartic lyrics that vividly depict urban street life.
- Musical experimentation: Lanez fuses genres like R&B, dancehall, and pop while producing many of his own tracks.
- Relatable underdog story: Coming from poverty in Toronto, Lanez‘s success inspires others from tough circumstances.
- Hitmaking ability: From “Say It” to “LUV” to “Freaky,” Lanez has a knack for crafting catchy pop/rap hits that gain widespread appeal.
Still only 30 years old, Tory Lanez is already a highly influential figure in contemporary hip hop. His raw artistic talent and realness continue to win over both critics and legions of fans worldwide. Lanez has cemented himself as a distinctive voice that will shape the hip hop landscape for years to come.