Finding your favorite TV channels should be simple when you‘re settling in for primetime shows or weekend movie marathons. But with the rise of digital cable and satellite packages offering hundreds of viewing options, locating networks you know and love can get complicated. If TBS is one of your must-watch stations for sitcoms, original comedies, movies and more, have no fear – this guide has you covered for navigating the channel on DirecTV. I‘ll provide an overview on finding TBS, dive deep into its programming, and spotlight related sister stations so you can become a channel surfing pro.
TBS can be found on channel 247 on all DirecTV channel packages. So whether you have the entry-level DirecTV Choice plan or the top-tier Premier plan, you‘ll be able to access TBS on 247 without any trouble. Keep reading for a closer look at the TBS history and lineup so you know what‘s in store on this station.
TBS has evolved quite a bit since its start over 50 years ago as an independent TV station. Here‘s a quick overview of the major events that transformed TBS into one of cable‘s most popular brands:
- 1969 – TBS is founded by media mogul Ted Turner as WTCG-TV Channel 17 in Atlanta. It runs classic movies and syndicated shows as an independent station.
- 1976 – WTCG-TV becomes the nation‘s first "superstation", beaming its signal via satellite to cable providers across the U.S. and adopting the name WTBS.
- 1980 – WTBS drops subscription fees, earning status as one of America‘s first "basic cable" networks and setting the stage for modern cable TV.
- 1988 – Ted Turner launches sibling network TNT (Turner Network Television), focusing on older movies and dramas.
- 1990s – WTBS is renamed TBS and shifts focus to sitcom reruns, original comedies, and younger audiences.
- 1996 – Turner Broadcasting System merges with Time Warner Inc. in a historic $7.5 billion deal.
- 2022 – Discovery and TimeWarner/TBS merge, creating Warner Bros. Discovery media conglomerate.
While TBS relies heavily on syndicated content, it has also rolled out popular original comedies and talk shows over the years. Here‘s a look at some of their formative original programs:
- Space Ghost Coast to Coast (1994) – This late night talk show starring an animated superhero helped establish Cartoon Network‘s edgy, adult humor.
- Dinner and a Movie (1995) – Chef Claud Mann and film historian Lisa Whelchel offered recipes and fun facts about different movies. Lasted 11 seasons until 2011!
- Frank TV (2007) – Comedian Frank Caliendo performed skits and impersonations, but only lasted a season.
- Conan (2010) – Conan O‘Brien brought his famous late night NBC talk show to TBS, which airs new episodes to this day.
- The Misery Index (2019) – Comedy game show with teams predicting how miserable people are in embarrassing situations. Currently renewed through 2024.
While not all originals have stuck, TBS has enjoyed recent success with shows like The Last O.G., Miracle Workers, and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.
Syndicated reruns of hit network sitcoms form the bread and butter of TBS programming. The network struck sitcom gold in the 1990s by airing shows like Seinfeld, Home Improvement, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and Roseanne in marathon blocks.
Some all-time sitcom favorites that have aired in syndication on TBS over the decades include:
- The Office
- Family Guy
- The Big Bang Theory
- 2 Broke Girls
In 2022, the most-watched sitcom reruns on TBS were The Big Bang Theory, Family Guy, Bob‘s Burgers, The Last Man on Earth, and American Dad. Massive hits like Big Bang Theory get airtime up to 12 hours in a day. This syndication strategy continues to form the core of TBS.
While Cartoon Network may be the leader in animation, TBS provides select children‘s programming on weekday mornings and weekends. The most frequent classics you‘ll find in the TBS cartoon lineup include:
- Looney Tunes
- Tom and Jerry
- Scooby Doo
- The Flintstones
Some newer programs featured on TBS aimed at kids and young teens include:
- Adventure Time
- Steven Universe
- Teen Titans Go!
- The Amazing World of Gumball
So parents who want some family-friendly shows can feel at ease putting TBS on before school or on Saturday mornings.
From comedy classics to recent superhero flicks, TBS delivers a diverse slate of hit movies. You can catch:
- Newly released Hollywood hits like Deadpool 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, and Doctor Strange.
- Popular comedies including Legally Blonde, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and the Hangover trilogy.
- Major franchises like Transformers, X-Men, Harry Potter, and Indiana Jones.
- Holiday favorites and animated films to delight kids like The Grinch, Shrek, and Despicable Me.
- Occasional TBS original movies like the 2021 premieres of A Christmas Mystery and Christmas in Compton.
TBS often edits films for content and weaves in more commercial time. But it remains a great destination for viewers seeking comedy films and lighthearted franchises.
With sister network TNT more focused on sports, TBS offers a select slate of live games and competitive events. This includes:
- MLB Baseball – TBS has rights to regular season MLB games on Sundays plus playoff coverage through 2028. In 2022 they aired 26 weekly national games.
- NBA Basketball – TBS previously aired NBA regular season and playoff matchups from 2003 to 2016 before losing rights.
- NCAA Football – Airs select college football games from top conferences.
- WWE Wrestling – Features wrestling matches and events from Raw, SmackDown, and pay-per-views.
So while sports don‘t dominate TBS like ESPN, you can still get a nice fix for common major league matchups.
TNT, another Warner Bros. Discovery property, offers a nice counterbalance to TBS as a destination for drama, action, and crime series. Popular TNT programs include:
- Animal Kingdom – Follows a Southern California crime family featuring Ellen Barkin.
- Claws – Dramedy starring Niecy Nash about five manicurists working at a Florida nail salon.
- Snowpiercer – Post-apocalyptic thriller based on the 2013 film, starring Jennifer Connelly.
- NBA Basketball and Golf – Live regular season and playoff NBA matchups plus PGA golf events.
So check out TNT on channel 245 when you need more intensity from dramas versus TBS‘s diet of comedies.
No guide to TBS is complete without Cartoon Network, which offers iconic kids‘ programming during the day and adult animation at night. Must-see shows include:
- Teen Titans Go!
- The Amazing World of Gumball
- Craig of the Creek
- Apple and Onion
- Rick and Morty
- Robot Chicken
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- Genndy Tartakovsky‘s Primal
Cartoon Network blends laughs, adventure, and satire across its lineup on channel 296.
As cable TV‘s first 24-hour news network, CNN is the place for authoritative journalism and up-to-the-minute headlines. Major programs include:
- CNN This Morning with Kaitlan Collins
- The Lead with Jake Tapper
- The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer
- Anderson Cooper 360
- CNN Tonight with Laura Coates
Catch global news coverage around the clock on CNN channel 202.
Rounding out the sister stations, truTV provides outrageous unscripted comedies, like:
- Impractical Jokers
- Lizard Lick Towing
- Tacoma FD
- The Carbonaro Effect
If you enjoy watching real people in funny and unexpected situations, check out truTV on channel 246.
I hope this guide has helped explain exactly how to access TBS on channel 247 with DirecTV. And now you have an overview of TBS programming history, popular shows, and sister station offerings. Whether you‘re looking for comedy classics, recent sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, or live MLB baseball, TBS on DirecTV has you covered. So grab the remote and start enjoying the best of TBS!
Sources: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-mar-06-mn-31672-story.html  https://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/23/business/turner-to-merge-into-time-warner-a-10-billion-deal.html  https://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/21/arts/crtics-notebook-using-reruns-to-remake-tbs.html  https://www.nexttv.com/news/tbs-ratings-big-bang-theory-american-dad-family-guy  https://www.nexttv.com/news/turner-extends-mlb-rights-20-years