Name: Camila Alves McConaughey
Age: 41 years old
Birthday: January 28, 1982
Birthplace: Itambacuri, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Height: 5‘ 9"
Net Worth: $5 million
Relationship Status: Married to Matthew McConaughey (since 2012)
Camila Alves McConaughey is a Brazilian model and designer best known for her marriage to actor Matthew McConaughey. She has graced over 50 magazine covers, starred in campaigns for luxury brands, and launched successful fashion and lifestyle companies. As a devoted mother of three children, Alves works hard to balance her career ambitions with family life.
Early Life and Modeling Discovery in Brazil
Born in the small town of Itambacuri in Brazil, Camila Alves grew up in a close-knit family as one of three children. She lived an active, outdoor lifestyle and developed a love for nature and animals early on. When she was just 15 years old, Alves was spotted by a modeling scout while walking down a street in Sao Paulo. She signed with an agency that very day, marking the beginnings of her meteoric career.
Alves modeled locally in Brazil for several years, appearing in advertisements and editorials in Portuguese language magazines and newspapers. She gained invaluable experience early on interacting with world-renowned photographers like J.R. Duran.
Moving to the United States and Breakout Success
At the age of 19, Alves made the major decision to move to the United States to pursue more lucrative modeling opportunities. She settled in New York City where she lived with fellow model Ana Beatriz Barros. During her early days in the U.S., Alves struggled with learning English and adapting to big city life.
She caught her big break in 2005 when she was named the face of Guess? jeans. Doors began opening for the green-eyed stunner as she appeared in campaigns for marquee brands like Armani Exchange, Revlon and Levi‘s.
In 2006, Alves made her breakthrough as the cover model of Shape magazine. This catapulted her to the next level of success as she went on to become the first Brazilian model to ever grace the cover of American Vogue in March 2011. She appeared on the covers of over 50 international fashion magazines throughout her career.
Marriage to Matthew McConaughey
Camila Alves met Hollywood actor Matthew McConaughey at a club in Los Angeles in 2006. The couple dated for six years before McConaughey proposed to Alves on Christmas Day in 2011. They married in June 2012 in an intimate ceremony held at their home in Austin, Texas.
Alves and McConaughey have three children together – two sons named Levi and Livingston, and a daughter named Vida. According to Alves, “My main job is being a mother, and it always comes first before anything else.” She emphasizes the importance of routine and stability for raising grounded, secure children.
Launching a Business Empire
In addition to her successful modeling career, Camila Alves established herself as an entrepreneur and authority on lifestyle brands. Her business ventures include:
- Women of Today – A fashion and home goods line founded in 2012 that empowers female artisans around the world.
- Muxo Handbags – A luxury handbag collection launched in 2013 inspired by Alves‘ native Brazil.
- Yummy Spoonfuls – An organic baby food brand Alves introduced in 2015 after struggling to find healthy options as a new mom.
- Wholesome Pantry – A organic gourmet food company Alves co-founded in 2016.
- The Brazilian Diet – A 2015 book authored by Alves that shares her healthy, clean eating philosophy.
Through her brands, Alves seeks to bring high-quality products with a social mission into the marketplace. She is hands-on in overseeing all aspects of her businesses.
Philanthropy and Social Activism
Camila Alves has a deep commitment to philanthropy and volunteerism. She supports causes that help disadvantaged children, including:
- Ambassador for Art of Elysium, providing arts programs for sick children
- Worked with Baby2Baby to distribute baby supplies to families in need
- Partnered with the Morgan Project for spinal muscular atrophy research
- Served as ambassador for Johnson‘s “Donate Love” campaign for NICU babies
Alves also uses her platform to promote female empowerment, body positivity and diversity in the fashion industry. She embraces her natural beauty and wants to redefine unrealistic standards.
Why Fans Adore Camila Alves
There are many reasons why Camila Alves has amassed a dedicated fan following over the years:
- Timeless beauty – She has an effortless, natural beauty both on and off the runway. Her green eyes, tan skin and signature wavy locks exude glamour.
- Gracious personality – Despite her success, Alves remains grounded and gracious in public appearances and interactions with fans.
- Devoted mother – Her social media provides glimpses into her life as a loving, hands-on mom which is relatable.
- Pride in her Brazilian heritage – She infuses her brands with elements from her home country and serves as a role model for young Brazilian women.
- Passionate entrepreneur – Fans admire her ambition, vision and work ethic as she has built businesses from the ground up.
- Philanthropic spirit – Her charitable initiatives and support for social causes inspire fans to also give back.
At just 41, Camila Alves has already made an indelible impact through her groundbreaking modeling career, marriage to a Hollywood star, and building a lifestyle empire. Yet she remains a down-to-earth, devoted mother and wife at heart. Her humble beginnings in rural Brazil only make her present success more impressive and motivational for aspiring models and entrepreneurs worldwide. There is no doubt Camila Alves‘ brightest days still lie ahead.