Trippie Redd is an American rapper, singer & prominent SoundCloud rap figure.
|Full Name||Michael Lamar White IV|
|Birthday||June 18, 1999 (Age 24)|
|Birth Place||Canton, Ohio, United States|
|Genre||Hip hop, emo rap, alternative rock|
|Labels||TenThousand Projects, Caroline|
|Net Worth||$5 million|
|Social Media||Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube|
Early Life and Upbringing in Ohio
Trippie Redd was born Michael Lamar White IV in Canton, Ohio on June 18, 1999. He had a troubled upbringing, switching homes frequently and getting expelled from school. To escape a rough environment, Trippie found solace in music. He taught himself instruments like guitar and piano, and started writing his own lyrics.
Trippie became interested in hip-hop acts like Tupac, Nas, Lil Wayne, and KISS. But rock bands like Nirvana, Slipknot, and Blink-182 were his biggest early inspirations. By age 14, he was producing his own songs on cheap equipment.
Breakout Success on SoundCloud
In 2014, a 14-year-old Trippie started uploading songs to SoundCloud under the name "Trippie Redd." His tracks like "New Ferrari" and "Sub-Zero" built local buzz in the Ohio scene. Two years later, Trippie earned national attention with the mixtape "A Love Letter to You," led by the hit single "Love Scars."
Trippie‘s emotional lyrics, genre-bending production, and rock influences struck a chord with fans. By blending together emo rap and melodic flows, Trippie Redd became one of the most prominent faces of the SoundCloud rap movement.
Mainstream Ascent and Record Deal
The runaway success of "A Love Letter to You" caught the attention of major labels. In 2017, Trippie signed to Elliot Grainge‘s Capitol Records imprint 10K Projects. With a bigger budget and platform, Trippie‘s career skyrocketed.
His first studio album, 2018‘s "Life‘s a Trip," debuted at #4 on the Billboard 200. Standout tracks like "Dark Knight Dummo" with Travis Scott and "Taking a Walk" showcased his versatility.
In 2019, Trippie landed his first top 10 album with "!" (a collab with Juice WRLD). Singles like "Excitement" and "I Try" highlighted his knack for emo-tinged hooks. By blending genres, Trippie crafted his own signature sound in the mainstream.
Sharing His Artistic Vision
Never one to stick to formulas, Trippie continues to expand his artistry in new directions. In 2020, he delivered his dreamy, guitar-driven album "Pegasus." Songs like "Spaceships" and "Let It Out" saw Trippie probing deeper into rock-influenced production.
His aptly titled 2021 album "Trip at Knight" showed his comfort with harder styles like punk and metal. Trippie even got to work with his idol Travis Barker (of Blink-182) on the menacing cut "MP5."
No matter the sound, Trippie pours raw emotion into his lyrics. His songs touch on relationships, depression, paranoia, and the trappings of fame. Few artists are as open about their inner turmoil.
Throughout his meteoric rise, Trippie has collaborated with a who‘s who of artists:
- Travis Scott – Multiple collabs, including "Dark Knight Dummo" and "GOTTI"
- Lil Wayne – Trading verses on rock-inspired "I Know How It Feel"
- Chris Brown – Teaming up on the party anthem "Sunny"
- Juice WRLD – Close collaborators, joining forces on joint album "!"
- Playboi Carti – Blending their melodic styles on "Miss The Rage"
- Quavo – Swapping verses on the energetic banger "Topanga"
These high-profile features highlight Trippie‘s reputation as one of the hottest up-and-coming talents in the game.
Awards and Accomplishments
For an artist so early in his career, Trippie has already accomplished a great deal:
- Multiple top 10 albums on the Billboard 200
- 1 billion+ total worldwide streams
- Multiple Gold & Platinum song certifications
- XXL Magazine Freshman Class (2018)
- Artist on the Rise Award from BreakTudo Awards (2018)
- RIAA Gold & Platinum plaques awarded on Instagram Live (2021)
And at just 24 years old, there are surely many more achievements to come. Trippie always aims higher, never content to rest on his laurels.
Trippie Redd‘s Impact on Hip-Hop
Trippie Redd‘s influence on hip-hop culture has been undeniable. Here are some of his key contributions:
- Pioneer of Emo Rap: Trippie was one of the first to blend emo rock aesthetics into hip-hop. His emotional vulnerability spawned a whole new rap subgenre.
- Expanded Hip-Hop Production: Trippie experiments with live drums, guitars, and rock-inspired song structures. His influence can be heard across trap, punk rap, and hyperpop.
- Champion of the SoundCloud Scene: As an early Soundcloud success story, Trippie helped validate other young artists using the platform.
- Went Against Industry Formulas: Never chasing trends, Trippie makes the music he wants to create. His bold artistry inspired a wave of genre-bending rappers.
- Heavy Metal Influence: Drawing from his love of heavy music, Trippie made angsty, moshpit-ready rap rock cool again.
- Unique Fashion Style: From his grills to face tattoos, Trippie sparked new trends mixing punk and hip-hop aesthetics.
What‘s Next for Trippie Redd?
Recently, Trippie has hinted at starting his own record label to mentor new talent like him. He also plans to direct his own music videos as he grows his creative vision. Of course, Trippie will continue releasing genre-blurring music on his own terms.
Knowing Trippie Redd, he will keep evolving creatively and challenging people‘s perceptions. Despite naysayers, Trippie will always make the music his fans need to hear. For a true artist, authenticity trumps chasing fame.
At just 24, the sky is truly the limit for Trippie Redd. No matter what he tries next, one thing is certain—his loyal fans will be right there supporting him each step of the way.