So you‘ve decided it‘s time to factory reset your Oculus Quest 2. Maybe you want to clear out some storage space, resolve software issues, or get a fresh start before selling it. Whatever the reason, resetting your Quest 2 properly is important to avoid any headaches.
In this comprehensive walkthrough, I‘ll be providing everything you need to know to smoothly reset your Oculus Quest 2 headset back to factory default settings. I‘ve been an avid VR user since the early days of the Oculus Rift and have reset my various headsets countless times, so I‘m ready to share my expertise.
Let‘s get started resetting your headset!
Why People Reset Their Oculus Quest 2
Before we dive in, let‘s briefly go over some of the most common reasons people factory reset their Oculus Quest 2:
- Clearing storage space – The 64GB and 128GB versions of the Quest can fill up quick with large games like Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (8.5GB) or Medal of Honor (11.5GB). Resetting removes all installed software to free up memory.
- Selling the headset – Wiping it down to factory settings gives a clean slate for the new owner without your data.
- Fixing bugs or software issues – A reset can resolve persistent glitches, crashes, or errors. It‘s a standard troubleshooting step.
- Preparing for repairs – Oculus support will often have you reset before sending in a headset for service.
- Enhancing performance – Clearing the stored data allows the system to run smoother in some cases.
- Security before traveling – Some reset devices before connecting to public networks in airports or hotels.
I‘ve reset my Oculus Quest 2 and other headsets for all of these reasons over the years. It‘s a quick process once you know the steps.
Growth of Oculus Quest 2 Adoption
Before we dive into the reset process, it‘s worth looking at a few statistics that showcase the growing adoption of the Oculus Quest 2:
- Over 10 million Oculus Quest 2s sold as of January 2022 (Source)
- Nearly 25% share of the total VR/AR headset market in 2021 (Source)
- Generated over $1 billion in consumer spending on Quest content in 2021 (Source)
With these kinds of sales numbers, it‘s no wonder so many people now need to know how to properly reset their Oculus Quest 2 headset!
Now let‘s dive into the step-by-step process.
Method 1: Resetting Oculus Quest 2 via the Mobile App
The easiest way to factory reset your Oculus Quest 2 is by using the Oculus mobile app on your smartphone. You don‘t even need the headset nearby to do it remotely. Here‘s how:
Step 1: Open the Oculus App
You‘ll first want to open up the Oculus mobile app on your phone:
- For iPhone, open the Oculus app from your home screen.
- For Android, open the Oculus app from your apps list.
This is the same app you originally used to set up your Oculus Quest 2 when you first got it.
Step 2: Navigate to Devices
Once the app is open, tap on the "Devices" icon at the bottom of the screen:
This will bring up the Device Manager section of the app.
Step 3: Select Your Quest 2 Headset
In Device Manager, you should see your Oculus Quest 2 listed. Tap to select it:
Make sure you pick the correct headset if you have multiple Oculus devices on your account.
Step 4: Access Advanced Settings
With your Quest 2 selected, scroll down and tap on the "Advanced Settings" option:
This will open up the Advanced Settings menu.
Step 5: Tap Factory Reset
In Advanced Settings, scroll down until you see the "Factory Reset" option. Tap it to bring up the reset confirmation box.
Step 6: Confirm the Factory Reset
A popup will appear to confirm the factory reset. Tap the "Reset" button to confirm and initiate the headset wipe.
That‘s it! Your Quest 2 will now restart and reset back to factory default settings. The process only takes a minute or two.
Let‘s now go over how to reset directly from the headset itself.
Method 2: Resetting From the Oculus Quest 2 Headset
If you don‘t have access to the Oculus mobile app, you can still factory reset your Quest 2 directly on the headset. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Power Off the Headset
Start by powering down your Oculus Quest 2 headset completely:
- Press and hold the Power button on the right side of the headset.
- When the power menu pops up, select the "Power Off" option to turn off the headset.
Step 2: Access the Boot Menu
With the headset powered down, press and hold the Power button and Volume Down button simultaneously.
Keep holding both buttons until you see the boot menu appear on the headset‘s display:
This boot menu is accessed by holding the buttons for around 15-20 seconds before it comes up.
Step 3: Navigate to Factory Reset
In the boot menu, use the Volume buttons to scroll down until the "Factory Reset" option is highlighted:
Step 4: Confirm Factory Reset
With Factory Reset selected, press the Power button to confirm. Use the Volume buttons again to highlight "Yes" on the confirmation prompt, then press Power to confirm.
After a few seconds, your Quest 2 will restart and be reset to factory default settings, deleting all your saved data in the process.
And that‘s it! Your Oculus Quest 2 has now been reset whether you used the mobile app method or the headset directly.
What Happens When You Reset an Oculus Quest 2?
Now that you know how to factory reset your Oculus Quest 2, you may be wondering what exactly happens when you reset the headset:
- All account info is wiped – Any saved usernames, passwords, etc are erased.
- Downloaded games and apps deleted – Any software or games installed on the headset are removed.
- Game save data erased – Local game save files and progress are all deleted.
- Headset unpaired – The headset is no longer linked or paired to any accounts or the mobile app.
- Set back to defaults – All customized settings are reverted back to the factory defaults.
- Storage freed up – Resetting clears up the headset‘s internal storage space for new apps.
Essentially it‘s like having a brand new Oculus Quest 2 straight out of the box!
What‘s NOT Deleted When You Reset an Oculus Quest 2?
While resetting wipes most local data from your headset, your Oculus account itself is unaffected:
- Purchased apps remain – Any apps, games, or content you‘ve bought through the Oculus Store on your account can be redownloaded.
- Account details preserved – Your Oculus/Meta username, password, purchase history, etc remain intact on your account profile.
- Achievements kept – Game achievements and progress connected to your Oculus profile aren‘t lost after resetting.
So you won‘t lose access to anything you‘ve paid for when factory resetting your headset. Just be sure to backup any local game saves before resetting if you want to keep that progress.
Backing Up Your Oculus Quest 2 Before Resetting
Speaking of backups, here are some things you may want to do prior to factory resetting your Quest 2:
- Backup game save data – Use SideQuest to extract local game save files you want to keep.
- Screenshot important images – Capture any special VR screenshots you‘ve taken.
- Note down custom settings – Write down any guardian boundaries, customized controls, etc to easily reconfigure later.
- Double check account credentials – Confirm you know your Oculus login so you can sign back in after resetting.
Taking these steps before a reset ensures you don‘t lose anything important when wiping your headset.
Troubleshooting Oculus Quest 2 Reset Issues
Resetting an Oculus Quest 2 is typically quick and painless. But technical issues can occasionally crop up. Here are some common problems and their solutions:
- Stuck on boot screen – Perform a forced reboot by holding Power + Volume Down for 30+ seconds.
- Can‘t enter boot menu – Try adjusting the angle you hold the buttons. Press firmly using finger pads.
- Unresponsive headset – Attempt rebooting normally then retry the reset steps.
- Forgotten unlock pattern – You‘ll need to do a manual unpairing process to remove the locked screen.
- Missing factory reset option – Some early Quest 2 units had this moved in the menu. Try Volume Up + Power.
- Games reappear after resetting – Sign out of the Oculus app completely and unlink your account before resetting.
- Other issues – For any other resetting problems, contact Oculus support for troubleshooting assistance.
I‘ve run into many of these issues myself over the years resetting Oculus headsets. But they can usually be resolved with some patience and testing.
Resetting Before Selling or Gifting Your Oculus Quest 2
If you plan on selling or gifting your Oculus Quest 2 to someone else, performing a factory reset is highly recommended.
Resetting the headset before handing it over does a few things:
- Removes any sensitive personal data from the device.
- Frees up storage space for the new user to download their own apps.
- Allows the recipient to set up the Quest 2 themselves from scratch.
- Provides a like-new experience for the new owner.
Before factory resetting in preparation for selling/gifting an Oculus Quest 2, keep a few additional things in mind:
- Sign out of any apps that use your Oculus/Facebook login so they don‘t stay logged in after the reset.
- Unpair the headset from any linked Oculus mobile apps so the new owner can pair it themselves.
- Include any original packaging and manuals you still have for the complete experience.
Taking these extra steps helps ensure a smooth transition for the person receiving your Oculus Quest 2.
Final Thoughts on Resetting Oculus Quest 2
Hopefully this guide has given you everything you need to feel confident resetting your Oculus Quest 2. While it may seem daunting, I can assure you from personal experience that it‘s a quick and straightforward process.
To recap the key points:
- Use the Oculus mobile app for the easiest reset method without the headset nearby.
- Alternatively, power off the headset and access the boot menu to factory reset directly on the device.
- Reset clears all data like games and account info, but your purchases remain in your Oculus profile.
- Back up important files, configs, and game saves before resetting to avoid losing anything.
- Take extra steps like unpairing and signing out if gifting or reselling your Oculus Quest 2.
Factory resetting can seem scary but often provides the best troubleshooting results and a fresh start for your VR experiences. Now you‘re armed with expert advice on smoothly resetting an Oculus Quest 2. Never hesitate to reach out if you run into any issues getting your headset back to factory settings. Happy virtual adventures!