Sending Bitcoin is easier than ever with Cash App, the popular mobile payment app from Square. With over 70 million active users and growing, Cash App allows you to instantly send and receive Bitcoin right from your smartphone.
Whether you‘re transferring Bitcoin to a friend or relative, or want to send Bitcoin from your Cash App to an external crypto wallet, this guide will walk you through the entire process step-by-step.
Introduction to Sending Bitcoin on Cash App
First, let‘s briefly go over the key things to know about sending Bitcoin through Cash App:
- Two Main Methods: There are two ways to transfer Bitcoin on Cash App – using a $cashtag or a wallet address. We‘ll explain the difference shortly.
- Instant Transfers: Sending to a $cashtag is lightning fast and free, powered by the Bitcoin Lightning Network.
- External Wallets: You can also withdraw Bitcoin from Cash App to any external crypto wallet using a wallet address.
- Transaction Fees: $cashtag transfers are free. Blockchain transfers have standard mining fees based on the Bitcoin network transaction volume.
- Security: Cash App provides industry-leading security and encryption to keep your money and crypto safe.
Now let‘s dive into the step-by-step guide for sending Bitcoin through Cash App using both methods.
Sending Bitcoin to a Cash App $cashtag
Sending Bitcoin to a $cashtag is the fastest and easiest way to transfer Bitcoin to other Cash App users. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Tap the "$" Icon
Open the Cash App app and tap the "$" icon on the bottom menu:
This will bring you to the payment screen.
Step 2: Enter Amount
Enter the dollar amount you wish to send. For example, if you want to send $25 worth of Bitcoin, enter 25:
Next, tap the “USD” button and select “Bitcoin” from the currency options.
Step 3: Buy Bitcoin (If Needed)
If you don‘t already have enough Bitcoin in your Cash App wallet to fund the transaction, it will prompt you to purchase Bitcoin.
Buying Bitcoin on Cash App takes just a few seconds. You can easily buy as little as $1 worth of Bitcoin with a debit card.
Step 4: Enter Recipient’s $cashtag
In the “To:” field, enter the $cashtag username of the person you want to send Bitcoin to. For example:
You can also select a recipient from your contacts list.
Step 5: Add a Message (Optional)
You can enter a short message that the recipient will see when they receive the Bitcoin. For example, you could write "Happy birthday!" or "Thanks for dinner!".
Step 6: Tap “Pay”
Finally, review all the details to make sure everything is correct. When you‘re ready, tap the “Pay” button to instantly send the Bitcoin.
That‘s it! The Bitcoin will immediately be sent from your Cash App wallet to the recipient‘s account.
Sending Bitcoin to an External Wallet Address
If you need to withdraw Bitcoin from Cash App to an external crypto wallet, you‘ll go through many of the same steps, but will use a wallet address instead of a $cashtag.
Follow these steps:
Step 1: Tap the “$” Icon
Just like sending to a $cashtag, start the process from the “$” menu.
Step 2: Tap the Paper Airplane Icon
From the Bitcoin currency screen, tap the paper airplane icon in the top right corner:
This opens the Bitcoin send/receive menu.
Step 3: Enter the Amount in Dollars
Enter the dollar amount of Bitcoin you want to withdraw from your Cash App wallet. For example, $100.
Remember, you need to have enough Bitcoin in your wallet to cover the transaction. If not, you‘ll need to buy more first.
Step 4: Paste the Wallet Address
In the “To:” field, paste the recipient wallet address. This is a long string of letters and numbers.
Double and triple check that the address is entered correctly before proceeding.
Step 5: Select Priority
Select the speed you want to use for the transfer:
- Standard is the lowest fee, but may take over an hour for the Bitcoin to be delivered.
- Urgent incurs a higher fee, but will typically confirm in 10-30 minutes.
- Instant has the highest fee, but will usually confirm in 1-10 minutes.
In most cases, Standard or Urgent priority are sufficient. Use Instant for time-sensitive transfers.
Step 6: Confirm and Send
Carefully review all the details again, then confirm and send the Bitcoin.
The transfer will now be processed and delivered via the blockchain in accordance with the selected priority.
That‘s how to withdraw Bitcoin from your Cash App wallet to any external crypto address. While not as fast as $cashtag transfers, it enables you to easily move Bitcoin off of the Cash App platform.
Key Security Tips
When sending Bitcoin on Cash App, it’s important to take safety precautions:
- Double check addresses – Verify the full $cashtag or wallet address before sending. Incorrect addresses can‘t be recovered.
- Start small – Send a tiny test amount first before transferring larger amounts, to confirm you have the right address.
- Enable PIN code – This adds an extra layer of security to your Cash App account and crypto wallet.
- Write down your recovery phrase – This phrase can help you restore your Cash App wallet if your phone is ever lost or damaged. Keep it somewhere safe offline.
- Turn on notifications – Get notified whenever Bitcoin is sent or received through your Cash App account.
- Monitor transactions – Check the status of transfers on a Bitcoin block explorer to ensure delivery.
By taking basic security measures, you can confidently use Cash App to send and receive Bitcoin safely.
Sometimes issues come up when trying to send Bitcoin on Cash App. Here are some troubleshooting tips:
Problem: Transaction failed or Bitcoin not received.
- Double check the $cashtag or wallet address for accuracy. Incorrect addresses are the most common cause of failed transfers.
- Ensure you have enough Bitcoin in your Cash App wallet to fund the transaction. If not, you need to buy more Bitcoin first.
- Check the blockchain confirmation status on a Bitcoin block explorer. Sometimes delays are just due to high mining activity.
- Try force quitting the Cash App app and re-opening. This can resolve temporary glitches.
Problem: Transfer is taking too long to confirm.
- Be patient. Bitcoin transfers can take awhile depending on mining fees and network activity.
- If urgent, you can select a higher priority fee to speed up confirmation times.
- View the transaction status on a Bitcoin block explorer site to track its progress.
Problem: Cash App is down or crashing.
- Check Cash App‘s status page to see if they are experiencing an outage.
- Ensure you have a stable internet connection. Cash App requires connectivity.
- Force quit the app and restart your mobile device. Then re-open the Cash App.
- Update to the latest version of the app in case it‘s a bug.
- Contact @CashSupport on Twitter or Cash App customer support for help.
Sending Bitcoin on Cash App only takes a minute once you understand the two main methods:
- Use $cashtags to instantly send Bitcoin to other Cash App users for free.
- Use wallet addresses to withdraw Bitcoin to external wallets. This incurs mining fees.
Double check addresses, take security precautions, and use Bitcoin block explorers to monitor transactions. If any problems come up, use the troubleshooting tips provided.
With these steps, you can now easily send Bitcoin to friends and family using Cash App!